GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Question About Retrofitting MK7.5 front end on a MK7 GTI.

vdubDave

Car(s)
2017 GTI
So, I know that this subject has been touched on more times than can be counted, but I'm struggling to find a direct answer to my questions. So here I am. So I apologize for the repetition.

I bought my 2017 GTI Autobahn with holes in the front bumper where I can only assume that the license plate bracket originally was . I was angry about it and convinced the company I purchased the car from to pay to fix it. So I spoke with my body shop manager friend who is doing the work and they're willing to help a bit to get the retro fit done for me.

They're replacing the whole front bumper because of the extent and size of all the holes. So the cost of the replacement bumper is taken care of. I can get fenders for the car for about $100 total, and they'll paint them both for me for between $100-150 total. But the one thing left is the headlights.

My car being a Autobahn, has the lighting package with AFS. Does anyone a) know where I can buy MK7.5 LP Headlights, and b) know if all that needs to be done is they need to be coded to the car after? I work for a VW dealership (hence having the body shop connection. Its my dealerships body shop). So getting a tech to code them for me shouldn't be a problem if that's all that's needed in the end.

I know I can buy the OSRAM replica headlights for the LP and be done with it. But they're not the same. I like the look of the OEM 7.5 headlights. But I also am planning to have a end result of installing the LED Daytime running light bars that I posted in the attached pictures. The OSRAM 7.5 headlights flip the DRL LED and the Red GTI strip upside down. The red is on the bottom and the LED is above it. So for what I'm going for, it'll look off. So my only option is the 7.5 OEM LP Headlights. So I'm kinda sold on the retro fit.

Attachments

• Front end..png
    Front end..png
    826.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Mk7.5LEDBar1.png
    Mk7.5LEDBar1.png
    17.1 MB · Views: 134
  • Mk7.5LEDBar2.png
    Mk7.5LEDBar2.png
    19.9 MB · Views: 135

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You do realise that MK7.5 & MK7 wing to headlight joins are slightly different??....

So if you're converting a MK7 front to a MK7.5 front you also need to do the wings...

I've seen it done without the wings & it works...just....

Also, the wiring loom for the MK7.5 headlights is different to the MK7.....many people try it & it ends up a bodged nightmare...

Some pins/wires need to be moved in the connectors.

vdubDave

Car(s)
2017 GTI
I already have the Front Fenders(wings). They were $43/ea (unpainted). I have a body shop that is painting them for me for between $100-$150. So thats not a issue. I just need to figure out where I can get the headlights from. I can deal with Pins. It's a tedious process. But I've had to do it for taillights before.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What are wings? If wings = fenders the OP already mentioned they've got that handled. Body stuff is simple enough anyway.
Edit: Didn't refresh the page before posting.

Your biggest potential headache is going to be the headlights. This would be much easier if you had halogens, first time in history they are preferred option, haha. Anyway, facelift cars (with LP) moved lots of headlight control out of the BCM and into LCM (light control module). If you can get a hold of facelift headlights and the LCM you may also have an issue that your pre-facelift BCM may not be able to address the LCM.

I've only lightly looked into this topic, as my Mk7 came with Halogens and I installed the Osrams. But I did retrofit facelift BCM and when I was transferring the adaptations I do not remember seeing anything about LCM in the pre-facelift BCM coding/adaptations. It's also possible that early facelift cars hadn't moved over to LCM yet, but I'm not sure about that. My guess is that pins/connectors will be a small concern overall. Best to try and get the schematics for your car now and the schematics for a car with the headlights you want to buy. Start that comparison then move forward.

You didn't mention it here but assuming the first picture is the front of your car... you will also need to relocate your front radar sensor to the "behind emblem" position. Facelift cars moved from the lower grill (crash bar mounted) location. This probably isn't a big deal, mostly some hardware. You can try to reset the alignment yourself, or take advantage of the fact that you're at the dealership.

If I were in your shoes, I would have tried to go Mk7 clubsport bumper versus Mk7.5 facelift front end.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Subbed for more details about the LED daytime running light bars in the grill

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Are the fenders all that need to be replace to use the 7.5 headlights?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Also is there a thread or picture of someone who has tried fitting 7.5 headlights on a 7. All I’ve seen is threads where people ask, and they get the usual nah sayers.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Also is there a thread or picture of someone who has tried fitting 7.5 headlights on a 7. All I’ve seen is threads where people ask, and they get the usual nah sayers.
I really hope it's more than just fenders, those are only $180 brand new. Just as soon get new as used since you'll probably need to have the paint blended anyway.

Assume new grill, but that's whatever. I'm hoping, not for you, but for me, that the bumper needs to be replaced also because I'm not going to do that.

But if I can keep my bumper, the possibility of actual LED matrix headlights is reopened. And so then is my bank account 😑.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
E787511E-815D-419E-BB4D-897CC40D2489.jpeg

MK7.5 bumper on MK7.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Okay... so Mk7.5 fenders will line up with that bumper, meaning Mk7.5 headlights extend further aft than Mk7 lights and won't fit with the mk7 bumper...

I'm out!

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Hrm…

vdubDave

Car(s)
2017 GTI
Subbed for more details about the LED daytime running light bars in the grill
Bro, that LED DRL is sexy.

I even considered going with the Osram headlights to try and achieve the same outcome that I’m looking for with the 7.5 front end swap, but OSRAM swapped the DRL and the red strip so they wouldn’t match up. I might just say screw it and buy them anyways.

I’m totally kicking myself in the ass for not buying the 18 GTI :(

It had nearly the same miles on my car. It was SE with LP. Where mine is a 17 autobahn. It would’ve had the 72mo bumper to bumper warranty, and it was stick. Just like mine.

The only reason I didn’t, is it was like, 6k miles more than mine, and it was white. Where it seems like 75% of GTIs are white.

We also just took in a 22 white SE manual with 1500 miles on it. I was DROOOOOLING over that car.

And I have a customer right now with a 19 Spektrum R in Irish green that he’s trying to sell me his car. But he wants something crazy like $50k for it. All of these solutions would alleviate my issues though 😇🤦‍♂️😵‍💫