GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another failed thrust bearing victim :(

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I've been driving manuals for 40 years. No one can make a stock clutch last 389k miles, you're flat out lying and you look like an idiot. Literally no one believes you. Even driven like an adult with some spirtied driving, the stock clutch is doing well to make it to 150k in an older VR6, unless you've been cruising at idle in first gear nonstop for the last decade. We've all owned them, you aren't special or unique. Everyone that's ever owned a manual VW knows you're full of crap. No VW driven hard has a clutch last 389k miles, as you claim.
Well it's true. Not sure how I could possibly prove it to you since you are the definitive wikipedia on all things VW clutches since you've been driving Manuel for 40 years now. I must be wrong and my odometer is way off by hundreds of thousands miles and I don't remember swapping out those bad clutches at 150,000 miles and at 300,000 miles since you said that's all they last for…

How's your mom doing anyway? She must be past 500,000 miles now after last night.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Stop with the Mom stuff, it's beyond childish.

389k on the original clutch is what's known as the exception that proves the rule. Probably only 1% of those cars even made it to such high mileage.

Anecdotal evidence from a single source should always be questioned.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Man, did you guys not take care of your MK4's? When I got rid of mine at 122k, everything was still intact without having to jerry-rig it to keep it in place. Both my interior and exterior would be rated a 8.5 - 9 out of 10 but I am also very anal when it comes to cleaning my cars and keeping them clean along with maintenance.

I absolutely love(d) my mk4. It had been through hell before I got it. It had quite a few miles on it when I bought it, and I had to redo everything and rehang the bumper, all new glass Hella head and tail lights, grille, interior, etc. There wasn't much I didn't replace on that damn thing. Became a dad so a 2 dr mk4 was just way to damn small.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well it's true. Not sure how I could possibly prove it to you since you are the definitive wikipedia on all things VW clutches since you've been driving Manuel for 40 years now. I must be wrong and my odometer is way off by hundreds of thousands miles and I don't remember swapping out those bad clutches at 150,000 miles and at 300,000 miles since you said that's all they last for…

How's your mom doing anyway? She must be past 500,000 miles now after last night.

I don't question it could go 389k miles with extremely careful and slow acceleration, though it isn't the norm for these cars. You are 100% full of crap that you drive hard and have 389k miles on your clutch.

I spent 24 years in the military, it's hilarious that you think a your momma joke would bother me in the slightest.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Is it possible to salvage the pistons/rods if crankwalk has occured? What is actually damaged from crankwalk?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Then we’re all gonna get wuhan crankwalk if that’s the case.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Is it possible to salvage the pistons/rods if crankwalk has occured? What is actually damaged from crankwalk?
Yes usually it's the block the channels get lapped by the crank that's what happened to mine. Pistons and rods should be fine but depends on when you salvage. My buddy had wrist pins bent I've seen some where rods get chewed up as well but usually thwyre fine just the block is facked

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
330k miles original clutch '84 MB 190E. Family car for 27 years before we sold it, I still miss that car.