GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another failed thrust bearing victim :(

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Actually, a flat is usually pretty obvious, but perhaps I need to make the question simpler - When did you last see a under 10 year old car looking broken down by the side of the of the road - not counting obvious flat tires or accidents?

Last serious breakdown I saw was in New Orleans last year, super old Saturn pulls over right beside us (as we were walking downtown) and just immediately flushed all of its coolant into the street. ?

Anecdotal evidence obviously, but I cannot recall the last time I saw a newer vehicle broken down on the roadside...accidents aside of course.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Come on, you don't think manufactures using all these plastic pieces on the engines now don't precisely know that they are going to fail in x number of heat cycles? I guarantee they know exactly how long the car will last with average use and at what point it's more expensive to repair than it's worth. I think you underestimate the automaker's bean counters and exactly how much obsolescence is built into the auto industry.
But yet you see MK IV GTI's with plastic intakes and plastic oil filter housings still running with over 300,000 miles on them.

The plastic is for ease of manufacturing and the ability to create parts quicker, weight savings and material savings. Not for planned obsolescence. Take off your tin foil hat.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Just got back from the dealer (Napleton’s VW in Orlando) and they told me they’ve had a few MK7 GTIs and a 7.0 R in for catastrophic engine failure recently. They couldn’t tell me if all of them took a crank walk or not but sure sounds scary nonetheless.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
But yet you see MK IV GTI's with plastic intakes and plastic oil filter housings still running with over 300,000 miles on them.

The plastic is for ease of manufacturing and the ability to create parts quicker, weight savings and material savings. Not for planned obsolescence. Take off your tin foil hat.

Can you point me to some of these mk4's with 300k miles on them? And how are the plastic thermostat housings, fittings and waterpumps doing?

Last edited:

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Actually, a flat is usually pretty obvious, but perhaps I need to make the question simpler - When did you last see a under 10 year old car looking broken down by the side of the of the road - not counting obvious flat tires or accidents?

Same answer. Twice every trip each way on average. And again, a car just sitting there it's pretty hard to tell what happened. A flat is most certainly not obvious when you're going by at 75mph, unless you're looking for it -which I definitely am not- and if it's on the side of the car not facing road, then how could you possibly see it?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Never knew the Project MK7 GTI had this happen:

Seems it's a matter of when, not if.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Maybe a stupid question. If you stop driving at the first sign that the clutch feels weird, could you just change out the stock thrust bearing or is that even too late?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
How tough are these to locate/change? Inside the bell housing or block? I’d spend the labor at this point for peace of mind if it’s basically a clutch job.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Nevermind. Just read where the location is. Chances are if it has started to happen and you catch it early, it’ll just keep happening due to a channel that has formed- And probably too expensive in labor just to take a peek and replace. Probably best to keep that VRT r32 you have laying around as a backup to get you around while you save for an IE replacement...

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Can you point me to some of these mk4's with 300k miles on them? And how are the plastic thermostat housings, fittings and waterpumps doing?
I own one. A 1999.5 GTI GLX with 389,000 miles on it original clutch, oil filter housing, all plastic coolant parts are original and never touched the "crack pipe".

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I own one. A 1999.5 GTI GLX with 389,000 miles on it original clutch, oil filter housing, all plastic coolant parts are original and never touched the "crack pipe".
After having owned a MK4 GLI.....you are probably the ONLY one .......EVER. I'd call VW now and tell them....see if they'll give you free stuff

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

That's an awesome pampered unicorn. Let's see any significant numbers. Our VW facebook group has nothing but posts of MK4's asking for a tow. lol

Last edited:

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
That's an awesome pampered unicorn. Let's see any significant numbers. Our VW facebook group has nothing but posts of MK4's asking for a tow. lol
Not pampered. Driven hard every time I'm in the thing. Can't beat the sound of a VR6 at 5000 rpm.
Nice try again.