GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another failed thrust bearing victim :(

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Your IS38 may be okay. Check for shaft play. You can request any parts removed from your vehicle back under law AFAIK.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
8-9% of manual cars with aftermarket clutches according to the Facebook poll. That's 8-9% of manual cars that make any power.
That's just a FB poll, which had a total of how many people?
I just want to point out that this FB poll is easily biased/skewed. The type of people who are likely to click on a poll or thread relating to crankwalk issues are the type of people who have already had it happen to them.
But I will admit that the whole FB community is going to be biased towards tuned/upgraded mk7's, so that can also contribute to the higher failure numbers.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I just want to point out that this FB poll is easily biased/skewed. The type of people who are likely to click on a poll or thread relating to crankwalk issues are the type of people who have already had it happen to them.
But I will admit that the whole FB community is going to be biased towards tuned/upgraded mk7's, so that can also contribute to the higher failure numbers.

I just want to point out that most of these cars are still relatively new and haven't been on heavy clutches long term.

There are exceptions of course, but many more will fail.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sounds like VW is helping you out some on the cost of repair. That's good to hear.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
From what research I have done, this problem tends to happen to '15 and '16 model years and those with aftermarket clutches. I've seen DKM quoted a lot with these failures online. But it has also apparently happened to stock cars as well.
Where is this data from? The other survey on the vortex shows 2 failures out of 40 responses. One 2016 GTI and a 2017 Golf R.
2016 GTI engine failed at 36,000 miles using a Sachs with OE DMF
2017 Golf R engine failed at 37,000 miles using a Black Forest Industries Stage 3

The mileage that the failure happened is interesting though pretty close in mileage.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
8-9% of manual cars with aftermarket clutches according to the Facebook poll. That's 8-9% of manual cars that make any power.

I really don't understand why so many of you guys who want dragsters don't just buy something with RWD and a big V8. Buying a hot hatch, throwing gobs of money at it to make monster power, voiding the warranty in the process, then spinning your front wheels all day is just a silly exercise in futility.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

I really don't understand why so many of you guys who want dragsters don't just buy something with RWD and a big V8. Buying a hot hatch, throwing gobs of money at it to make monster power, voiding the warranty in the process, then spinning your front wheels all day is just a silly exercise in futility.

You do realize the stock clutches consistently fail with just a tune??

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I want a GTI CSS, but since they don't sell it here, I bought a GTI, added neg camber up front, springs, a rear sway and a tune to get me close. If VW sold the CSS here, I'd have bought that and left it stock.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

You don't need RWD with a big V8 to have a proper dragster. You have plenty of FWD cars that are 8 - 9 second dragsters with a shit ton of power.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
You don't need RWD with a big V8 to have a proper dragster. You have plenty of FWD cars that are 8 - 9 second dragsters with a shit ton of power.
correct, but it's easier with RWD V8. FYI respect for those that enjoy/mod their cars. I find the GTI really didn't need much for me so all I've done is kinda rice (Helix, OBD11 stuff, red mirror caps)

when I shopped GTI I could have had base model S550 Stang V8 MT for 30K/34 nicely optioned

#thread derail

Last edited: