GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another failed thrust bearing victim :(

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
So about two weeks ago my beloved GTI took a shit. :( Started noticing my clutch pedal hesitating and popping on the way back up, car stalling, loud knocking with clutch disengaged. When I finally drove it over to the stealership, the oil pressure light came on.
Thankfully VW is paying for the majority of the repair. I was just out of warranty at 66,000 miles and I'm left to pay $3800. This leaves me with a dilemma, though:

I have an is38, and a DKM stage 2 clutch. From what research I have done, this problem tends to happen to '15 and '16 model years and those with aftermarket clutches. I've seen DKM quoted a lot with these failures online. But it has also apparently happened to stock cars as well.
Since my old turbo is now toast, and VW will be replacing it with an IS20, should I buy another is38 to throw on there? It will still require an upgraded clutch, and now I'm worried it's what caused this whole issue to begin with. Are these issues only isolated to early MY engines?

Basically is it worth re-upgrading my GTI? Should I worry about it causing another thrust bearing failure on a basically new engine?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
x3...... Trade it in for a DSG at the dealership it's being serviced at

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
I was seriously considering getting a Golf R with DSG to avoid this. The problem is after paying for this repair, my car will only get me $10,000 towards a Golf R

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The IS38 is easier on clutches than the is20.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How is it easier?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing that he thinks that because the IS20 spools about 600 RPM sooner than the IS38 that it's harder on the clutch. I don't agree with that thinking but that's my guess.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing that he thinks that because the IS20 spools about 600 RPM sooner than the IS38 that it's harder on the clutch. I don't agree with that thinking but that's my guess.
Yeah, I don’t understand that logic, IS38 will make more torque and power, how is that easier on the clutch...