GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another failed thrust bearing victim :(

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not pampered. Driven hard every time I'm in the thing. Can't beat the sound of a VR6 at 5000 rpm.
Nice try again.

I'm totally sure you drive hard with the original clutch at 389k miles and counting. Seriously, it's laughable. Try again, we're not stupid or gullible. You forgot a decimal point. 38.9k. lol

Navi

Autocross Champion
1582761158221.png

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I have an ‘04 vr6 with about 200K. Engine still sounds sexy and attracts ricecars out of the woodwork. ALL the plastic is broken ? so many zipties on her. Leaks like a sieve in the rain.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My mk4 vr6 was a real piece of shit.

Cracked coilpack, cracked crackpipe, sticky buttons on the climatronic that didn't work anymore, soft touch wiping right off interior panels, glovebox latch snapped right off, stretched the chain and broke a couple teeth on the sprocket, and it burned more than a quart of oil every 1k miles. I had this car when it was over 10 years old with about 120k miles. I'll probably never own a 8-10 year old vw with that many miles ever again.

The FL heat sucks. My mk6 gti had a drooping headliner when it was only a few years old and before I traded it in I was having the same problems with the soft touch that my mk4 was having. My coolant bottle burned a hole through itself on it's own somehow. I always broke clips because they were so dried out. This car was at about 75k miles and getting close to 10 years old.

I'm pretty much expecting some of the same things to happen to my R, but I bought this one when it was so much newer I'll probably end up getting rid of it before problems like that start to show up.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have an ‘04 vr6 with about 200K. Engine still sounds sexy and attracts ricecars out of the woodwork. ALL the plastic is broken ? so many zipties on her. Leaks like a sieve in the rain.
yup i had a 03 GLI VR6 that was at 176k before i got rid of it, and yes EVERY bit of plastic inside that car was broke or Glued or replaced, haha - always had to carry around extra coils in the trunk.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Man, did you guys not take care of your MK4's? When I got rid of mine at 122k, everything was still intact without having to jerry-rig it to keep it in place. Both my interior and exterior would be rated a 8.5 - 9 out of 10 but I am also very anal when it comes to cleaning my cars and keeping them clean along with maintenance.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My mk4 vr6 was a real piece of shit.

Cracked coilpack, cracked crackpipe, sticky buttons on the climatronic that didn't work anymore, soft touch wiping right off interior panels, glovebox latch snapped right off, stretched the chain and broke a couple teeth on the sprocket, and it burned more than a quart of oil every 1k miles. I had this car when it was over 10 years old with about 120k miles. I'll probably never own a 8-10 year old vw with that many miles ever again.

The FL heat sucks. My mk6 gti had a drooping headliner when it was only a few years old and before I traded it in I was having the same problems with the soft touch that my mk4 was having. My coolant bottle burned a hole through itself on it's own somehow. I always broke clips because they were so dried out. This car was at about 75k miles and getting close to 10 years old.

I'm pretty much expecting some of the same things to happen to my R, but I bought this one when it was so much newer I'll probably end up getting rid of it before problems like that start to show up.

Cracked crackpipe? Was that optional? ?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Man, did you guys not take care of your MK4's? When I got rid of mine at 122k, everything was still intact without having to jerry-rig it to keep it in place. Both my interior and exterior would be rated a 8.5 - 9 out of 10 but I am also very anal when it comes to cleaning my cars and keeping them clean along with maintenance.

I hear you can get 389k hard miles out of the clutches in those things.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

I had to sawzall my glovebox open. The latch broke and I could still open it for a while, until the parts that opened it broke. I needed to take my wheels off and thought my lug nut key was in the glovebox, so I sawzalled it until it opened. Turns out the key wasn't even in there too soooo....

I busted an oil pan on that car too.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
120k may not be the best reference, And there many variables beyond your assumption in regards to different scenarios. When I bought that car it had 80k on it, it’s always been a desert car I got it in 08 so it was already 6 years old, I kept it till 2012/13 when it had 170k. during the day it would have to be parked in direct sunlight in Vegas so 110-120 temps in the summer. So the heat was not easy on plastics I assume. I was still anal about taking care of the car as I am with this one and my mk6, Only difference then was I just didn’t have the same kind of fun money to play with and mod the car. You’re car was one the nicer cherry ones is sounds like but it’s not some new notion that 4s Weren’t the greatest cars for durability. They are the gen of VWs that really help with giving them a bad wrap to non VW folk... I still hear the old comments from people “don’t get vw they breakdown fall apart and cost an arm and leg to get parts”

And now those comments just get mixed with “oh but they cheat and lie on emmisons tests what else do they do”

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
My 99.5 Mk4 didn't even make it to 20k miles. It kept breaking motor mounts and going into limp home mode, the sunroof would open randomly by itself, etc, etc. That car swore me off 1st model year VW's period

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Can't beat the sound of a VR6 at 5000 rpm.

The MKIII/IV VR6 GTI, argueably, had the best engine/exhaust combo that VW has ever come out with......

consequently though, the MKIII caused me to carry two tool boxes, spare coil packs and zipties ALL the time.....which I carried over into my MK4, B5.5, MK6 and now my MK7.5.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The MKIII/IV VR6 GTI, argueably, had the best engine/exhaust combo that VW has ever come out with......

consequently though, the MKIII caused me to carry two tool boxes, spare coil packs and zipties ALL the time.....which I carried over into my MK4, B5.5, MK6 and now my MK7.5.

My Corrado started to fall apart the second I left the dealers lot when it was new. Still loved it. I should have complained that the clutch didn't last 398k miles.