GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another case of peeling sunroof trim clearcoat

loopless

Passed Driver's Ed
So my 2018 Autobahn has this problem. What’s not clear to me is whether cars under the factory warranty can get this fixed as a warranty item or not?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
So my 2018 Autobahn has this problem. What’s not clear to me is whether cars under the factory warranty can get this fixed as a warranty item or not?
Depending on who you talk to this could be considered wear like damage to paint (even though we all know thats bs). Maybe get VWoA involved and see if they can help you out.

DV8EDD

Car(s)
2016 MK7, 2020 SPWB
same issue on a car I'm considering buying (thanks to @Supermoto for replying to the thread I started and pointing me here). Seems like wrapping might be the easiest answer. what a bummer VW seems to be sort of flippant about what is clearly a design/part flaw.

DV8EDD

Car(s)
2016 MK7, 2020 SPWB
in the interest of sharing in this thread, rather than the new one I made on this topic, here is a pic of what mine looks like. Car is dirty as well but thought it was worth sharing for people ttat stumble on this with the same problem.

Attachments

• GTI Roof (2).jpg
    GTI Roof (2).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 240

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Wanted to update this thread as my buddies 2017 is having the same sunroof trim issue. His is at the beginning stages and he sent me a pic asking what it was. I sent him this thread and hes not too happy. On a better note my 2019 hasnt developed any signs of this yet but its still just a baby.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
This is super common on a lot of cars with pano roof. Mine just started after 5.5 years of ownership. My best friend with a c400 AMG has his peeling as well. Prob the same manufacturer that produces them.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not an easy fix.

I have the issue which I blame on thin clear coat in this location.
Why peeling might be due to temp change as on cooler days you can see the glue lines under this piece so the area peeling does not have glue under it. Talked to a paint shop and they really would not commit to painting as they can not fully uncover the edges to insure proper coverage. They agreed with me wrap might be an option. But I reminded them wrap would hold up about as well as painting and masking as the wrap can also not go around the edges.

My plan is to polish the area smooth and see how it looks. If ok, ceramic coat.
It is a black plastic piece I think with clear coat on top.
If I need to wrap, then with area smooth will use knifeless tape to cut edge as close as I can. Using adhesion promotor on edge.
Just need to look for a good gloss black wrap to make the wrap on back of my roof or just redo the whole thing.

To replace this panel needs to be unbolted and lifted off with force to break glue. Maybe also heat.
Not sure how easy that would be or risk from damage.

So, for me wrap will be best option and I can attempt on my own.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Not an easy fix.

Why peeling might be due to temp change as on cooler days you can see the glue lines under this piece so the area peeling does not have glue under it. Talked to a paint shop and they really would not commit to painting as they can not fully uncover the edges to insure proper coverage. They agreed with me wrap might be an option. But I reminded them wrap would hold up about as well as painting and masking as the wrap can also not go around the edges.

If I need to wrap, then with area smooth will use knifeless tape to cut edge as close as I can. Using adhesion promotor on edge.
Just need to look for a good gloss black wrap to make the wrap on back of my roof or just redo the whole thing.

To replace this panel needs to be unbolted and lifted off with force to break glue. Maybe also heat.

That's what a lot of people have done and I plan to do.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Not an easy fix.

I went this route and ran into some issues, as it seems the clear coat never wants to sand smooth. The edge tends to chip away even with very light sanding/polishing leaving a hard edge which shows under paint and wrap.

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
Just noticed this issue on my 2016 SE purchased in October 2015. Really disappointed as my car only has 29k miles on it. (Haven't driven much in the last few years). I'll ask my dealer about it when I take it in for another sunroof leak. My extended warranty is up in October...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I went this route and ran into some issues, as it seems the clear coat never wants to sand smooth. The edge tends to chip away even with very light sanding/polishing leaving a hard edge which shows under paint and wrap.
Might just need to remove all clear coat.
Good news might be it does not look thick.

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
I had the same problem on my 2016 which I purchased new was first the clear coat then the sunroof leaking. I complained to high heaven and the only thing they would do is help with the labor on the sunroof. After I asked a bunch of questions they would only give you 1 year warranty on the "new" sunroof. Also there have been no design changes so expect the same poor quality clear and sunroof leaks in the not so distant future.

RAD GTI 1984

Car(s)
GTI
2017 gti here. It just started for me this month. Based on the time stamps of previous posters, it seems like around year 5 is when this starts to happen to most.