GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another case of peeling sunroof trim clearcoat

ryu

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf
Do you think the time it takes for this to happen is related to sun exposure?
I don't think so. Reading other posts in this thread, this happened in the same place across many cars. Seems like a design / manufacturing problem. If it is sun exposure, this should happen anywhere on the roof, imho.

I just saw this on my Golf now, which is an early-production 2015 model.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
You can definitely to this. I was just kind of lazy and wrapped right over.
How did you manage to wrap all around the turns and edges cleanly? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to tuck the vinyl under around the sunroof seals.

I have a 2015 with the same. Contacted VWoA and got the following run-around.

I understand where you are coming from, I can imagine this is a frustrating situation. As such, I have documented the concerns you have shared with me so that it can be reviewed internally within VW and we can also notify NHTSA. If we have a profile for you in our system and a warranty extension is released that effects your VIN you will be notified. At that time you can reach out to us with your proof of payment for the repair and the repair order and we can review for potential reimbursement. There may be a service bulletin for this kind of concern. Technical service bulletins (TSB's) are created and used by our technicians to address issues that occur commonly in certain Volkswagens. These resources allow technicians to help each other in diagnosing and addressing your concerns quickly. These are different from warranty extensions or campaigns/recalls since they are not used to identify defective parts, so the cost for a repair that involves a technical service bulletin would not be covered by VW outside of warranty.

FWIW, looks like the part is $400 (https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-panel-assembly-5g6877059) if anyone really want to DYI replacement.
I would do this, but I've been told the entire sunroof assembly needs to be removed from the car to replace that part. That means dropping the headliner and getting into some pretty involved work.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have a 2015 with the same. Contacted VWoA and got the following run-around.

I understand where you are coming from, I can imagine this is a frustrating situation. As such, I have documented the concerns you have shared with me so that it can be reviewed internally within VW and we can also notify NHTSA. If we have a profile for you in our system and a warranty extension is released that effects your VIN you will be notified. At that time you can reach out to us with your proof of payment for the repair and the repair order and we can review for potential reimbursement. There may be a service bulletin for this kind of concern. Technical service bulletins (TSB's) are created and used by our technicians to address issues that occur commonly in certain Volkswagens. These resources allow technicians to help each other in diagnosing and addressing your concerns quickly. These are different from warranty extensions or campaigns/recalls since they are not used to identify defective parts, so the cost for a repair that involves a technical service bulletin would not be covered by VW outside of warranty.

FWIW, looks like the part is $400 (https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-panel-assembly-5g6877059) if anyone really want to DYI replacement.

Thanks for part info.
Does anyone know for sure how this is attached?
Info I have is that the part is glued and hand to be forced loose and then scrapped to remove glue.

Has anyone had this work performed or changed the part to fix this issue? Any details to share.
Also, anyone who has had it painted, how did they do it with out removing he part to paint around the edge and then clear coat?
Did they tape off and just paint as best one can? Did they sand clear coat and smooth and then apply clear, or repaint as well?

I have not noticed anyone sharing details if they have fixed or had corrected.
In for any details.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
How did you manage to wrap all around the turns and edges cleanly? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to tuck the vinyl under around the sunroof seals.
I didn't tuck it in, I just carefully pulled it over the edges and cut.

ryu

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf
Update: My local dealership submitted a formal request to VW. The answer is that too bad, nothing they can do for me. 🙄

BTW, the service manager at the dealership told me that they have seen this failure on other Mk7s....

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Update: My local dealership submitted a formal request to VW. The answer is that too bad, nothing they can do for me. 🙄

BTW, the service manager at the dealership told me that they have seen this failure on other Mk7s....
Well, yes, of course they have seen this failure. We are talking about a problem going on for the last 4-5 years. Not sure why he’d state something so obvious? Is it supposed to make you feel better about it? I’ll never understand that line of thinking in customer service, better not to say anything at all!

This is something cosmetic and VW chooses not to care.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
hmm my 2015 was built in May of 2014 and I don’t have this issue. My car always has some kind of sealant or coating so not sure if this helped.

Will check again in the sun in the AM.

tbe early build date 2015 MY cars actually had a different OEM contracted for the sunroofs. It was just the “transitional period” as they built out MQB/MK7 Production in Puebla, they used the same OEM as the ROW cars.

before the end of the 2015 MY they switched to a different OEM for the sunroofs and the issues began... and never subsided, 3-4+ Years later :\

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I ended up wrapping mine piano black with vvivid ultra black vinyl. Decently easy, I used knifeless tape on the edges near the seals to get a good cut. Before wrapping I tried sanding down the clear coat damage to make it smoother, but it still shows under the vinyl. Luckily this cars going to carvana soon and I have a 2019 Autobahn sitting in my driveway now 😂

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
tbe early build date 2015 MY cars actually had a different OEM contracted for the sunroofs. It was just the “transitional period” as they built out MQB/MK7 Production in Puebla, they used the same OEM as the ROW cars.

before the end of the 2015 MY they switched to a different OEM for the sunroofs and the issues began... and never subsided, 3-4+ Years later :\
I had a very early build 15 with this issue. Build was April 2014.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

My wife’s golf had the issue and was a pretty early build. It was an SE “ Sport” and only 650 were made at launch for the US.

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
I purchased a brand new 2016 SE and 3.5 years later all the clear coat was flaking. I also had the sunroof leaking (again). After multiple pleas with VWOA I was given nothing and nothing. After the 4th time I was told they would cover a 1/4 of the cost of approx. $3,500 but it was going to be replaced with the same part (no revision) and the same way glued in. I would also only get a 12 month guarantee on leaks and flaking. Needless to say I bought a 2021 S.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I purchased a brand new 2016 SE and 3.5 years later all the clear coat was flaking. I also had the sunroof leaking (again). After multiple pleas with VWOA I was given nothing and nothing. After the 4th time I was told they would cover a 1/4 of the cost of approx. $3,500 but it was going to be replaced with the same part (no revision) and the same way glued in. I would also only get a 12 month guarantee on leaks and flaking. Needless to say I bought a 2021 S.
You stayed loyal to the brand anyway.