GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another case of peeling sunroof trim clearcoat

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
fingers crossed my 2015 doesn't eventually flake, but couldn't you refinish this panel like a headlight? wetsand with 600 grit and lay down some new clear coat? I just redid the headlights on my forester with spraymax 2k and it looks great.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
fingers crossed my 2015 doesn't eventually flake, but couldn't you refinish this panel like a headlight? wetsand with 600 grit and lay down some new clear coat? I just redid the headlights on my forester with spraymax 2k and it looks great.
You can definitely to this. I was just kind of lazy and wrapped right over.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i always thought this was actually glass, because it has ZERO swirlmarks which i would completely expect it to have if it was painted. Why would the sunroof trim have extremely hard clearcoat when the rest of the car has super soft clearcoat? Not saying anyone is wrong here, it just surprises me.

Luckily i have always sealed it anyway, just like the rest of the actual glass, to have water beading effects.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I cut up a sunshade and put it up there. It lays on the inner trim and is completely invisible when you pull the mesh closed. Best part is that it can be installed or removed in seconds. It’s made a HUGE difference with heat.
Haha thats so cool, I have been doing that for the past year as well! It really helps with keeping temps down.

Id prefer to do this over wrapping it. I'd imagine you could just tape off the area and cover the rest of the car with plastic or something to prevent overspray, then sand the area down with increasing grit levels then clear coat.

2018SEGFG

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
i always thought this was actually glass, because it has ZERO swirlmarks which i would completely expect it to have if it was painted. Why would the sunroof trim have extremely hard clearcoat when the rest of the car has super soft clearcoat? Not saying anyone is wrong here, it just surprises me.

Luckily i have always sealed it anyway, just like the rest of the actual glass, to have water beading effects.

What products do you use to seal glass? Never heard of doing that before.

shawnofmfd

Car(s)
'15 GTI/'11 BMW 335
Saw this post. Another '15 GTI here, original owner. Mine is peeling pretty good as well. Took it by the dealer today to see if there was anything they could do. They took photos and sent up a claim. Will share what I hear back. Expectations aren't too high but I figure if enough '15 owners are reporting up the same issue, maybe they will acknowledge it 🤷‍♂️ Can confirm it isn't adhesive underneath as it flakes off, it started in the front as shown in the photos but is also peeling at the back edges now as well. Car is very regularly washed and waxed despite being dirty in the pics lol so ultimately sealant didn't stop it. Took one part to flake off and it went fast after that. It has spent mixed time indoors and garaged. Cali and Hawaii sun probably added to it

Attachments

• 20201213_145836.jpg
    20201213_145836.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 392
  • 20201213_145802.jpg
    20201213_145802.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 357

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Saw this post. Another '15 GTI here, original owner. Mine is peeling pretty good as well. Took it by the dealer today to see if there was anything they could do. They took photos and sent up a claim. Will share what I hear back. Expectations aren't too high but I figure if enough '15 owners are reporting up the same issue, maybe they will acknowledge it 🤷‍♂️ Can confirm it isn't adhesive underneath as it flakes off, it started in the front as shown in the photos but is also peeling at the back edges now as well. Car is very regularly washed and waxed despite being dirty in the pics lol so ultimately sealant didn't stop it. Took one part to flake off and it went fast after that. It has spent mixed time indoors and garaged. Cali and Hawaii sun probably added to it
Im still dealing with my peeling trim. I am at the point where I am about to do some vinyl work on my car, so I am debating black wrapping the trim vs sanding and re painting with a proper 2 part clear coat. Im going to give VWoA a call and refer them to this thread if they need to see that this is a more widespread issue than my car. I am also now getting flaking at other locations on the trim piece, so its definitely getting worse.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I also have this issue and my car is babied by being parked in a garage at home and parking garage at work. I also have the car waxed/polished about twice a year. Mine is pretty bad and I started noticing it back in 2018. Took it to Volkswagen and they said it wasn't covered under warranty. I just sanded it down and polished it. Looks better but not nearly as good as it was. Once it gets real bad ill have it vinyl wrapped.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I also have this issue and my car is babied by being parked in a garage at home and parking garage at work. I also have the car waxed/polished about twice a year. Mine is pretty bad and I started noticing it back in 2018. Took it to Volkswagen and they said it wasn't covered under warranty. I just sanded it down and polished it. Looks better but not nearly as good as it was. Once it gets real bad ill have it vinyl wrapped.
Mine also started happening in 2018, I contacted VW about it and they said im out of luck. How did you go about sanding it down and polishing it? Im about to re wrap my roof and do some other vinyl work, and I cant quite figure out how I would go about wrapping the trim. I wonder how it would turn out if it was all masked off, sanded, primed, and repainted black with a 2 part clear coat?

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Mine also started happening in 2018, I contacted VW about it and they said im out of luck. How did you go about sanding it down and polishing it? Im about to re wrap my roof and do some other vinyl work, and I cant quite figure out how I would go about wrapping the trim. I wonder how it would turn out if it was all masked off, sanded, primed, and repainted black with a 2 part clear coat?
while I was washing my car, with the soapy water I was using 1000 grit, than 2000 grit, than finished with 3000 grit. After drying it up I used my orbital polisher and buffed it out. Mine is discolored though due to the sun damaging some spots more than others.

shawnofmfd

Car(s)
'15 GTI/'11 BMW 335
Im still dealing with my peeling trim. I am at the point where I am about to do some vinyl work on my car, so I am debating black wrapping the trim vs sanding and re painting with a proper 2 part clear coat. Im going to give VWoA a call and refer them to this thread if they need to see that this is a more widespread issue than my car. I am also now getting flaking at other locations on the trim piece, so its definitely getting worse.
I did that today actually. The dealer got back to me and told me there was no decision made on my trim piece but suggested I call VW customer care. I did and they escalated the issue. They rep agreed the more tickets they get opened for the same issue could result in a recall so it doesn't hurt to report it. If I hear a decision back on mine, I'll post it here.

iNvisible9611

Car(s)
GTI MK7 2015
I too have this issue on my GTI MK7 2015. Contacted VW customer care and got this response:

I thank you for your patience, I did not find any recalls, existing warranties, or extended warranties that could be used to your benefit in terms or a repair. I am so sorry about that, I know that is not the news you were hoping for. Seeing that your vehicle is outside of all applicable warranties we would not be able to assist. Bear in mind we do have a corrosion and perforation warranty but there must be an actual hole in the body panel for that to be considered. I appreciate the opportunity to document your vehicle issue, all vehicle issues are inspected by NHTSA.

A bit disappointing given it seems to be a common theme here.

ryu

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf
I have a 2015 with the same. Contacted VWoA and got the following run-around.

I understand where you are coming from, I can imagine this is a frustrating situation. As such, I have documented the concerns you have shared with me so that it can be reviewed internally within VW and we can also notify NHTSA. If we have a profile for you in our system and a warranty extension is released that effects your VIN you will be notified. At that time you can reach out to us with your proof of payment for the repair and the repair order and we can review for potential reimbursement. There may be a service bulletin for this kind of concern. Technical service bulletins (TSB's) are created and used by our technicians to address issues that occur commonly in certain Volkswagens. These resources allow technicians to help each other in diagnosing and addressing your concerns quickly. These are different from warranty extensions or campaigns/recalls since they are not used to identify defective parts, so the cost for a repair that involves a technical service bulletin would not be covered by VW outside of warranty.

FWIW, looks like the part is $400 (https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-panel-assembly-5g6877059) if anyone really want to DYI replacement.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Do you think the time it takes for this to happen is related to sun exposure?