GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another 6MT gearing thread

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I was today years old when I found out the Mk7 & Mk7.5 GTI 6MT have different gearing. Gearing specs were taken from official VAG tech spec flyers. I played around with a spreadsheet comparing 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gearing between the 7, 7.5, and other models that use the MQ350. It's attached in the zip folder below with a bunch of tech spec PDFs I grabbed from VW.

Given how many different gear sets VAG has developed for their transverse 6MT, what would be your ideal combination of gears & final drive? For example, the Mk6's gearing is way more aggressive than the Mk7. Would swapping out a few pairs of gears be relatively easy if you're already doing a clutch job or adding an LSD to a non-PP car?

GearMPH @ 7250 rpm (2017 GTI)MPH @ 7250 rpm (2020 GTI)MPH @ 7250 rpm (2012 GTI)

Attachments

• VW tech spec flyers.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 1664764347157.png
    1664764347157.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Dang they really made the 7.5 have a shorter first gear and taller second. Making the ratio between even bigger than it already was 😬

The R’s gears would be a nice swap!

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Dang they really made the 7.5 have a shorter first gear and taller second. Making the ratio between even bigger than it already was 😬

The R’s gears would be a nice swap!

I'm surprised they did that too since the general consensus seemed to be the ratio from 1st to 2nd was too wide already.

The R's gear set would be nice! The Mk6's would be a little improvement too, but wouldn't improve the ratio between 1 and 2. I'll have to do some more digging to see if I can unearth a good compromise between aggressive gearing and traction haha

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
My MK6 GTI was the car I learned to drive stick on. It got the same gas mileage around town as it did on the highway lol, 28 city 28-30 highway hahaha. 65 mph @ 2750 RPM.

I’d take a MK6 GTI transmission with a taller 5th and 6th gear (aka reduce the ratio of the 2nd pinion). Best of both worlds imp: powerful, brutish, close-ratio performance 1-4, then taller 5th/6th for highway mileage.