GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anonymous poll - gasoline grades

What grade gasoline do you normally run in your R?

• 91+ all the time (at normal altitude)

Votes: 122 93.1%
  • 87 "regularly"

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Depends, but mostly premium

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Usually regular, but sometimes premium if it is cheap

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Ah, the old days when premium was only 40 cents more. Or the old old days when it was only 20 cents more. Wait, that was only a few years ago. I think I paid 60 cents difference. Or was it 80 cents.

It used to be premium was more of expensive because they produced less. I wonder if that's still the case or its just price gouging.

todd92

Passed Driver's Ed
Costco doesn't markup 93 anymore than 87. Around here they are 0.35 to 0.45 more. The marketing model for the rest of retailers is loss lead the 87 and make all of your money on 89 and 93. Most stations don't even post 93 prices by the road, hoping to swing you in with a competitive 87 price and then not pay attention to the 93 price. Hard to believe, but it works.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
93 almost always

cb1111

Costco doesn't markup 93 anymore than 87. Around here they are 0.35 to 0.45 more. The marketing model for the rest of retailers is loss lead the 87 and make all of your money on 89 and 93. Most stations don't even post 93 prices by the road, hoping to swing you in with a competitive 87 price and then not pay attention to the 93 price. Hard to believe, but it works.
True. Today at COSTCO in VA, regular was $1.95 and premium was $2.19

As far as paying attention to pricing, there is a station down the street from me that is 99 cents more expensive (on all grades) than the cheapest station about a mile down the road. They're betting that people only look at the pennies and not the dollars.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Costco is now the #1 gasoline retailer in the COUNTRY. Amazing. Always packed. Always the best price in the area. Top Tier. I wonder who they source it from? Probably multiple sources.

todd92

Passed Driver's Ed
What difference does it make who they source it from? They add their own detergent package.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Always Shell Nitro. I use it in my M4 too and I never have any issues with drivability, idle, misfires, nothing. So I just keep using it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
93 always.
My car is an early build '15 GTI - and it says "premium."
I know it can run on anything, and VW has relaxed what it recommends on more recent models.
But I'm sticking with what they recommended.
Besides, my car's only got 30k miles on it, so it's not as though it's costing me too much too often.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

I can assure you they are not loss-leading the regular. Wawa profits 12-15 cpg on regular. 20+ on 92 (92 bc they mix 15% 87 in)

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
All top tier gasoline is not created equal. To be top tier you have to meet a minimum standard. Some gas suppliers exceed those standards. I remember seeing a list put together a little while back on the differences between top-tier gasoline stations, and IIRC Shell V-power was at the top of the list of having the most volume and most beneficial additives.

I haven't looked at gasoline prices for probably 10 years. I pull in to whatever shell or chevron is most convenient for my life. Wait in a 15 minute line for Costco gas to save $1? My life is worth more than that. It's a privilege, that I'll admit, but I've chosen what battles to fight. I'd rather spend that time with my family.

cb1111

All top tier gasoline is not created equal. To be top tier you have to meet a minimum standard. Some gas suppliers exceed those standards. I remember seeing a list put together a little while back on the differences between top-tier gasoline stations, and IIRC Shell V-power was at the top of the list of having the most volume and most beneficial additives.

I haven't looked at gasoline prices for probably 10 years. I pull in to whatever shell or chevron is most convenient for my life. Wait in a 15 minute line for Costco gas to save $1? My life is worth more than that. It's a privilege, that I'll admit, but I've chosen what battles to fight. I'd rather spend that time with my family.
Ahhh, the arrogance of "new money".Like I said, yesterday premium at COSTCO was $2.19. Down the street at the BP it was $2.97 - so 78 cents per gallon. The Golf tank is what? 13 gallons, so the difference is about $10.

That'll pay for your Starbucks fancy frappuccino that'll also take 15 minutes to get - and you'll have money left over.