GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anonymous poll - gasoline grades

What grade gasoline do you normally run in your R?

• 91+ all the time (at normal altitude)

Votes: 122 93.1%
  • 87 "regularly"

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Depends, but mostly premium

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Usually regular, but sometimes premium if it is cheap

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Shell 91 for me. Unfortunately Arizona gets crappy California-formulated gas and that means 91 max. But I'm at 5000 ft so 91 is effectively higher than it would be at sea level. And it's 75c-$1 cheaper here than over there, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Mowe

Passed Driver's Ed
Why pony up the cash for a performance car and not put premium gas in it ? Makes no sense. Buy a regular Golf IMO then ...

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Nothing but 93.

Every car I've had for the last decade 'required' premium fuel. I don't even give it a second thought.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
91+E70 here in the high desert. E40 tuned so that’s what I run. Circle K gas. Only three E85 pumps in the entire city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
In my immediate area, most every gas station has only 87, 89, and 93 octanes. A couple of private brands have 92 as their highest. It's rare I get stuck with 92.

Has anyone logged their timing to see if there's a real advantage using 93 or 92 or 91 over 89 and 87? It would take a considerable amount of time and you would really need your own octane test equipment so you know what you're using. There was a test done many years ago by one of the magazines where they tested gas and found that many times 89 octane was closer to 91. Perhaps the distillation process isn't that repeatable.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Delete

Last edited:

njfgray

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/ DSG
93 all the time

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I drive 30K miles a year and the difference in price between 87 and 93 where i live (Philly suburbs in NJ) comes out to about ~$8 a tank, which when you drive as much as me adds up. I'm on stock tune. I've told myself a zillion times I'm just gonna roll with regular.

But I just can't do it. I feel compelled to run Shell 93 exclusively.