GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Auto update killed Android auto functionality

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The most recent version of Android auto completely killed Android auto on my Galaxy S7/car. Instead of opening with Android auto, it tried to open using mirrorlink and samsung car mode (which i soon found out is hot garbage). So after struggling to set up samsung mirrorlink and car mode in stop and go traffic since it blocks out any interaction while moving, the app finally launched and the only things present were messages, phone, and settings - none of the buttons were functional. Completely useless app, especially when driving.

To fix this, I had to uninstall Samsung car mode, Samsung "carmoderemote", and go into system apps and disable mirrorlink, then press and hold the power button on my infotainment for 30 seconds to hard reset the unit. Once it reset, it booted directly into the normal android auto window on the infotainment unit. Hopefully this post can save someones frustration, it took my whole 40 minute commute to figure out what was going on and fix it.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
I have a Pixel 3 XL; I'll have to check mine after the latest update. Haven't used AA in a while. Thanks for the heads up and sorry for your frustration.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I have a Pixel 3 XL; I'll have to check mine after the latest update. Haven't used AA in a while. Thanks for the heads up and sorry for your frustration.

It might not pose a problem for you since I think the root of the problem is Samsungs "Car Mode" app, but who knows. I'm interested to see if it spans all android devices or mine was just a fluke

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
If you think it was the Android auto update itself, see if you can find an APK of the previous version and download it. That should solve your issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
If you think it was the Android auto update itself, see if you can find an APK of the previous version and download it. That should solve your issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The issue is fixed now, I think the android auto update must have killed my data and settings syncing the car to my phone and my phone decided since it was Samsung it should use samsungs mirror link instead of defaulting to android auto. I did consider this but luckily figured out how to fix it before I had to attempt the APK restore