GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

An oh S*** moment, epc light on, cil flashing, car running on hardly no cylinders.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
I apologize ahead of time, this is a long one.

Car info first.
2018 Golf R, unironic dp, ic, stage 2 ecu And tcu tune. E20 fuel.

Getting on the parkway today. In right lane, traffic was slow. Had an open left lane, so I merged left and got after it. Started at 50ish mph. At around 80ish (I think, wasn't really paying attention, was watching traffic in right lane), things went south fast. Car fell flat on its face, EPC and CIL came on, CIL was flashing. Car barely running and shuttering. I pull off on the next exit and limped it to a parking lot. Placed car in park and let it idle for just a few seconds. Violently shaking and spluttering. I shut the car off and pop the hood. No leaks, no rod hanging out of the block, everything looked normal. Checked fluids, all is in normal operating levels. At this point I remember my obd11 in the glove box. Run a full scan. There is some bs leftover faults from a month or 2 ago, but the ones from today scared the s*** out of me.

Hide cylinder P130a00
Cylinder 1, cylinder 2, cylinder 3, and cylinder 4 misfire.
Random/ multiple cylinder misfire.

I do not clear the codes and download the log. The log shows no active faults. So I start the car and there is no epc and cil. Car purs like a kitten. I'm at a loss. Drove the car the 100 miles home with no problems. I get home and re scan the car to look closer at the codes. Attached is all the info I could pull.
Had a similar thing happen to me. It was an intermittent issue with my LPFP.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
Had a similar thing happen to me. It was an intermittent issue with my LPFP.

In all honesty I’m going to get rid of my PRW LPFP setup and purchase the entire kit from PAG parts. In the middle of building my engine so the pump will come once the car is back together.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Same identical experience I had during a highway pull. Same codes. Same end result too. Car hasn’t skipped a beat since. I chalked it up to a bad batch of fuel since I filled up a station I hadnt before

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
In all honesty I’m going to get rid of my PRW LPFP setup and purchase the entire kit from PAG parts. In the middle of building my engine so the pump will come once the car is back together.
For gti or r?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Had something similar happen to me when I was on my Unitronic stage 2 tune. Hide cylinder and cyl 2 & 3 misfire and EPC. I Shut it down and let it sit for a min and then started right up and drove home (2 miles) fine. Never happened again so I chalked it up to bad fuel.

davcohen

Ready to race!
This exact thing happened to me, I had an oil change and was cruising home when all of a sudden I see the EPC light illuminated with no check engine light, I pull over and the only thing I see on OBD11 is 3 blank codes which I believe have always been present since getting the EQT tune and a decat.

I switch off the car and turn it on the and light had vanished and the car was back to full boost today.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The EPC light always resets when you turn it off and back on. If it happens again get the codes before you shut it off. Lots of reasons for an EPC light.

roystr

Ready to race!
This just happened to me in my GTI. Scared the sh*t!! out of me. Thought I blew the motor.

In my case, I had a very worn set of plugs. All of the gaps were in the .032" to .035" range (Brisk Silvers. Installed at .024", regapped 6k miles later, 12k on them now). The ECU apparently shut off cylinders 1 and 3. I had no idea that it could do that. I've heard of "limp mode" limiting RPM and speed, but never shutting off a cylinder entirely. Kinda cool but scary if you don't know that it is what is happening. lol. Put new RS7 plugs in today and it runs like a champ.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
This just happened to me in my GTI. Scared the sh*t!! out of me. Thought I blew the motor.

In my case, I had a very worn set of plugs. All of the gaps were in the .032" to .035" range (Brisk Silvers. Installed at .024", regapped 6k miles later, 12k on them now). The ECU apparently shut off cylinders 1 and 3. I had no idea that it could do that. I've heard of "limp mode" limiting RPM and speed, but never shutting off a cylinder entirely. Kinda cool but scary if you don't know that it is what is happening. lol. Put new RS7 plugs in today and it runs like a champ.
I definitely know what you mean about scared! My first thought was a blown turbo. Had my buddy more wigged out than me. This was a one time event for me.
I haven't had a chance to pull the plugs yet, but hopefully will soon. Been kinda babying it for now.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I had something a tad similar, ditto on thinking turbo. Did not have to be a pull, just driving and would be about 5 to 10 miles out and would get this. Power down and EPC would go away. Happend once and time went by and then it started happening more often. In my case it was a bad coil. Could of been coils as I replaced all of them for later revision number and they were fairly reasonable.

Jason1459

Car(s)
2016 mk7 gti sneeky
Same exact thing happened to me..
it was 40deg F outside and I had E20 stock hpfp.. the cold makes it harder for the mixture to atomize keep that in mind so there are less fuel molecules floating around in the cylinder

bbroecker37

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I had a similar experience. Yesterday when I was merging onto the highway. I was wide open throttle since nobody was around and out of nowhere EPC and Check engine light started flashing. The car was also running like crap and shaking. I pulled off the highway and the car almost felt like it was going to stall at the light. I turned off the car and turned it back on. The engine was running like it did before. I plugged in OBD11 when I got home and had the same codes at the OP but for me only 3 cylinders instead of all 4. I also saw the ignition advance was pretty high on my IE Powerlink app.

The first thing that came to my mind was bad gas. I went to a different gas station. Filled up with premium and also dumped some seafoam in the tank to clean the injectors. The ignition advance is back down to the normal range. No more misfires showing up in the OBD11 live data.