GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AMS Intercooler

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'm not knowledgeable enough but I can't help but wonder if going to the 4" DP didn't have something to do with it.

That would not be the issue. The bigger dp will increase the flow and make the turbo spool up a little bit quicker and as gti_fan mentioned with the WG, it would just open up to prevent the turbine from overspinning.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Hoon, the Contrarion Modder....

Spulen OCC is the best OCC!
Hoon: "Garbage"

AMS IC is the best IC!
Hoon: "meh"

Ima go BIIIIG Turbo on my stock block!
Hoon: "dumbass"

This hybrid will run forever because they fixed X Y and Z!
Hoon: "junk turbo"

Lmao Diggs, I call it like I see it. I post the good and bad, if I make a mistake I don't want others to do the same.

I also have had a few different setups, tuning solutions, tuned several MK7s with a variety of setups, etc.

I have a pretty good idea of what works, what doesn't, and what's somewhere in between.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Man, thanks for posting all this. I know AMS does exceptionally well at factory turbo levels but it’s hard to find good data on most of the ICs on larger frame and higher boost levels. I’m starting to lean towards CTS now after seeing logs from a built Xona7864 and Drew’s setup. Looks to have a good balance of cooling and flow for cost.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Man, thanks for posting all this. I know AMS does exceptionally well at factory turbo levels but it’s hard to find good data on most of the ICs on larger frame and higher boost levels. I’m starting to lean towards CTS now after seeing logs from a built Xona7864 and Drew’s setup. Looks to have a good balance of cooling and flow for cost.

It's a great IC and not sure why it doesn't get much love on here. Maybe because it's a CTS product but you all have seen my dyno sheets and how consistent my pulls are and how there is barely any drop in power.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Three components were changed correct?
IC, DP, and Built Motor - which the built motor is a much larger dynamic than the others.
@Hoon, are you on an after market ECU and tuning for a boost target? If not, then the IAT sensor may be adjusting the AFR in a way that requires more WG to match the flow?
Had you done the rebuild and DP with the Unitronic IC, then switched, this all could have been easier to depict.
But, your build is so advanced that your only approach (if you want what works for you) is to get a custom done right? Being full on race built I would think so.
That AMS is surely putting down solid cooling for you and you only have an approx -2psi drop in the system - which is quite normal actually running high boost.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Three components were changed correct?
IC, DP, and Built Motor - which the built motor is a much larger dynamic than the others.
@Hoon, are you on an after market ECU and tuning for a boost target? If not, then the IAT sensor may be adjusting the AFR in a way that requires more WG to match the flow?
Had you done the rebuild and DP with the Unitronic IC, then switched, this all could have been easier to depict.
But, your build is so advanced that your only approach (if you want what works for you) is to get a custom done right? Being full on race built I would think so.
That AMS is surely putting down solid cooling for you and you only have an approx -2psi drop in the system - which is quite normal actually running high boost.

How do you relate building the engine to changes in the work required from the turbocharger to build boost in the intake manifold? If the exhaust gas was the primary driver of the increase in wgdc the rise would be because there's less or cooler exhaust. I'm not understanding what parts would change on the engine to cause either of those to happen.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My engine has stock airflow. It's stock compression, stock head. Drivability was my priority.

Its a stronger bottom end with heavier valvesprings and lighter valves. It doesn't do anything different than a stock motor besides rev higher and I can make more TQ without folding a rod.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
i would not run a CTS product if given for free, their customer support and support of the industry is so bad it is offensive, and the mass and design also looks inferior to me as well. no reason to choose CTS over unitronic or APR from what i can see. I would also note that I believe the world record FWD GTI MK7 record was set with APR intercooler....