GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AMS Intercooler

Oscar_T10

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 VW GTI SE 6 SP
I have IE v1 that I installed a year ago and I’ll have some more logs here shortly. It’s good at cooling, but the flow could definitely be better. Build quality is great, but there are better ICs on the market, especially for the cost. I’m tempted by the do88, but it’s just a hassle getting the IE in and out, so I don’t know.
I was thinking of getting a FMIC, but I decided on a stock location instead.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
My research shows AMS, APR and Wagner as the best from talking to various tuners and performance shops. This is interesting about the AMS. I'm not surprised though. I've noticed it's efficiency during really hot weather is more exponential than linear. Seems a lot is at play. From what I can gather, APR is the best performing.

Def not unitronic unless you plan on staying is38 or smaller. And even then, still worth it to pony up and get a larger cooler for $100 more, since it's the same location.
Why not unitronic? I have one on my big turbo setup and it never is the cause of any issues. Its obviously better than the ams one. If it can flow fine for my turbo, than any turbo setup it will flow fine too. Its definitely very efficient being as small as it is and hoon still seeing an improvement on wastegate duty with it versus the ams

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I agree with Diggs that with an is20 or is38 almost any intercooler will work great but once you start pushing things with a hybrid the weaknesses start becoming more apparent. the APR one is larger with more mass than the unitronic.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Spun my ass off on Indy 500's (tire situation is a long story, these are temporary...was still spinning at 7300rpm in 3rd when I shifted) and went 7.74 60-130 on flat ground @ 34psi. Would have easily gone 7.5x on the Pilot 4s and better than that on a stickier tire.

Cars making some steam. It's going to put down a solid number.

DAYYYUMMMMM

this is going to be epic with 35+ psi and a man tire on there.

I would not be surprised if you sneak into a 6.9x on a cold day with dead hook traction.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Why not unitronic? I have one on my big turbo setup and it never is the cause of any issues. Its obviously better than the ams one. If it can flow fine for my turbo, than any turbo setup it will flow fine too. Its definitely very efficient being as small as it is and hoon still seeing an improvement on wastegate duty with it versus the ams
His WGDC increase is due to the increase from a 3”DP to a 4” - not the IC. The AMS is providing excelled cooling at his 35psi. His only mention is possibly having a -2psi pressure drop. That, is not the sole fault of an IC. More surface area + volume out shines volume alone. The best flow doesn’t equal best cooling either.
Keep in mind that a larger turbo will run cooler than a stock - until you push it to its PR ceiling in similar fashion to that of stock turbos / and if it is a Hybrid they become very tricky.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Integrated Engineering?

I was considering that one but a good deal on a used APR came up locally. Lots of logs on the IE floating around and they all have looked good to me. Seems to be as good an option as the other name brands.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Please explain why going from a 3" catted DP to a 4" catless would restrict the turbo.
Not restricting, rather the WG working harder to hold your boost. Since you are expelling so much more exhaust. Basically keeping from overspinning.
To control boost, we use to run screamer pipes - you remember those. I haven’t seen a 4” DP on a 2.0L, so I make this assessment based on your change.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Not restricting, rather the WG working harder to hold your boost. Since you are expelling so much more exhaust. Basically keeping from overspinning.
To control boost, we use to run screamer pipes - you remember those. I haven’t seen a 4” DP on a 2.0L, so I make this assessment based on your change.

The wastegate closes to increase the pressure differential across the turbine wheel. To keep from overspinning the wg would open, the opposite of what is being reported here.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion

yeah, i think you're misunderstanding what is going on here.....