GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AMS Intercooler

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
A single 3rd gear pull isn't really what I had in mind for "meaningful data"...ideally I'd like to see something like a 40-140.

Regardless, I think the reduction in pressure drop would be very meaningful.

I don't plan on pulling the AMS out to switch, but I wouldn't buy it again.

How's the cooling from the AMS going 40-140?

Oscar_T10

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 VW GTI SE 6 SP
Hmmm I'm debating which intercooler I should buy between AMS and Unitronic. This certainly helps lean towards the Unitronic. Excellent post 👍

Navi

Autocross Champion
Hmmm I'm debating which intercooler I should buy between AMS and Unitronic. This certainly helps lean towards the Unitronic. Excellent post 👍

My research shows AMS, APR and Wagner as the best from talking to various tuners and performance shops. This is interesting about the AMS. I'm not surprised though. I've noticed it's efficiency during really hot weather is more exponential than linear. Seems a lot is at play. From what I can gather, APR is the best performing.

Def not unitronic unless you plan on staying is38 or smaller. And even then, still worth it to pony up and get a larger cooler for $100 more, since it's the same location.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
aweseome information Hoon, thanks for sharing. Too many people don't look at the data.

After looking through countless logs and doing lots of research I ended up going with the APR intercooler, and if i was on a budget and doing the work myself and staying with a smaller turbo then I'd consider maybe the unitronic, but the APR seemed like the best balance of flow and IATs from what I could tell. I was tempted on the Do888 but lack of real data and tube/fin design talked me out of it

RTFM

Ready to race!
Integrated Engineering?
I have IE v1 that I installed a year ago and I’ll have some more logs here shortly. It’s good at cooling, but the flow could definitely be better. Build quality is great, but there are better ICs on the market, especially for the cost. I’m tempted by the do88, but it’s just a hassle getting the IE in and out, so I don’t know.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
My research shows AMS, APR and Wagner as the best from talking to various tuners and performance shops. This is interesting about the AMS. I'm not surprised though. I've noticed it's efficiency during really hot weather is more exponential than linear. Seems a lot is at play. From what I can gather, APR is the best performing.

Def not unitronic unless you plan on staying is38 or smaller. And even then, still worth it to pony up and get a larger cooler for $100 more, since it's the same location.
This...I'm running the Unitronic intercooler and am debating if I should add a bi-cooler as well.

Oscar_T10

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 VW GTI SE 6 SP

I do not plan on going to a bigger turbo but plans change, that's why I was contemplating the Unitronic. The research you guys provide helps out in narrowing down choices.