GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AMS CF Intake Installed

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't have the space beside my CAI for the OCC so it's bolted to the motor mount on the passenger side.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Mine used to be on the passenger side but it was just too crowded in that area and a lot of heat was building up. I have oil lines running there, the fuel line, the coolant line, the oil catch can lines.. literally every line passed through that area and I had stuff zip tied and wrapped.. now it's much better.

Also, the VWR catch can is janky. The Radium one is much, much better.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I was pretty shocked when humblemechanic put his cam down into the VWR can, I had never seen one of them in person. The baffling inside is... a joke. I would expect more from a ~$500 piece, but thats just me.

Another good option I've used in the past are MANN oil seperators, but obviously don't look nearly as trick... if thats a goal one has.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I was pretty shocked when humblemechanic put his cam down into the VWR can, I had never seen one of them in person. The baffling inside is... a joke. I would expect more from a ~$500 piece, but thats just me.

Another good option I've used in the past are MANN oil seperators, but obviously don't look nearly as trick... if thats a goal one has.

check out the radium competition oil catch can

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
check out the radium competition oil catch can
I did, finally a nice can, made right. Mann oil separators are good as well...

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Hey just a quick update. I started hearing a slight chirping sound under acceleration about a week ago. Almost like a super quiet squeaky cartoon mouse babbling on about something. Only happened briefly while accelerating and then stopped at higher RPMs. It ended up being a clamp whose prong was rubbing against the underside of the long CF air inlet duct. I fixed it by soaping and rotating it down but if I would have let it go, I think over time it would have worn a deep rut in the CF. There isn't enough pressure to bore a hole but just enough to chirp under acceleration.

Not sure if this is the consistent OEM rotation on this particular clamp but if so, rotate it when installing this intake. I suspect if my inlet duct was metal or plastic it wouldn't make any sound at all. The CF rubbing agains metal though after the clear coat wore away is super chatty.

Pic below:

Culprit (soapy water spray, not a leak)
-
Damage
-
Fix

ams_intake_chipring_squeek.jpg

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
this is only an issue on the golf r right? I think that's the pipe that goes to the aux radiator.

Ah perhaps!

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Hey I also noticed the clearance with the coolant hose is not that good... here in their install video (0:52) you can see the hose get pushed down....

How is it looking on yours? Is it getting kinked? Any wear/damage? Do you think something like this will help?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/mk7-8v-silicone-coolant-hose-reroute-kit/018193ecs02~a/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-apr-parts/coolant-hose-relocation-kit/ci100033-a~apr/

That’s a different portion, that one I just rotated the actual hose so that the natural angle of the hose runs beside and under the duct. Zero issues there.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Question, would you be able to accommodate a larger battery with the AMS intake? Looks tight.

Hey so I ended up replacing my battery, jumping up from a 5H to 6H. I can confirm that the intake fits with the largest battery size designed to fit in the factory tray. I was even able to re-use my 5H sized blanket by detaching the corner tab of the blanket, wrapping it around and banding it with two large restraint zips, they are black and 1/4" wide and look like straps that the factory would use to ensure the blanket stays in place. It's tight but the larger battery is completely covered, lid and all.