GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AMS CF Intake Installed

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I'm impressed with the quality and fitment. I was concerned because a fellow member with a GTI had to dremel a slot for their hood latch but it turns out the Golf R hood latch mechanism is actually different so I didn't end up having to do any modifications.

Quality: 10/10 The weave, rigidity and finish on the carbon is fantastic. That primary grommet connecting the intake tube to the filter housing is very robust.
Fitment: 10/10 Everything has room to wiggle and shift, no contact or potential rubbing that I can find anywhere.
Performance: 1/10 This will be far easier to service (remove 1 band and pull it out) and it looks incredible IMO. I'm confident that it will be a slightly positive factor in my stage 2 protune in the coming weeks but if the intent is pure performance, this is a complete waste of money over a higher flowing drop-in filter.
Sound: 8/10 I also installed AMS's turbo muffler delete. These two combined add some greatly welcomed acoustic drama to the intake and turbo. Very smooth & rhythmic, not like a strung out REX.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely. The quality, appearance, sound and ease of maintenance make it a no brainer but as mentioned above this would be an absurd way to allocate funds if the intent is purely for performance gains.

Attachments

• ams_intake.jpg
    ams_intake.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 1,954
  • ams_intake_fitment.jpg
    ams_intake_fitment.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 1,001

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Question, would you be able to accommodate a larger battery with the AMS intake? Looks tight.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Question, would you be able to accommodate a larger battery with the AMS intake? Looks tight.

Not sure, I'll grab another photo of the gap between the battery and intake tube here in a few!

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

With the blanket, it appears to have just over an inch of gap between the widest part of the battery and the tube. I tried to compress the blanket in this photo to get a true sense of space. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.09.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.09.04 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 259

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
FYI make sure the radiator line tucked underneath the intake shroud doesn't get pinched :p

Yeah the instructions mentioned tucking it but what I ended up doing is just squeezing the pinch clamp and rotating the hose a bit so it naturally routed in a way that I didn’t have to do any tucking or re-routing. I was worried that if I just kind of plopped the intake shroud down it would indeed pinch the already 45-ish degree angle on that rubber hose.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Sure opens up a lot of space where the original airbox was too for other things. I also like that its not some bespoke silicone coupler that would be hard to find down the road as the car ages.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Sure opens up a lot of space where the original airbox was too for other things. I also like that its not some bespoke silicone coupler that would be hard to find down the road as the car ages.

Do you have any ideas top of mind? The photo doesn't capture just how cavernous the new space is. I'm not short on space for anything that would safely tolerate the heat. I planned to run audio but a distro block wouldn't make sense that far upstream. Maybe a nice inline oil cooler or catch can. I gotta figure out something for the space. If not, I'll think of something absurd like a fire proof stuffed animal or something just to make me laugh when I open the hood.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I was thinking it would be a good place for oil catch can without dinking around with the washer bottle on the passenger side of the car for sure :) that said, reworking that also cleans up a lot of space on that side of the car too :eek:

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I was thinking it would be a good place for oil catch can without dinking around with the washer bottle on the passenger side of the car for sure :) that said, reworking that also cleans up a lot of space on that side of the car too :eek:

Clearly an EA855 could fit...

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The Forge intake is very similar, i was looking at getting that one... but now im leaning to this one... very clean, like the APR...

Looks great staying_tuned..... What diameter does the filter have? 3in? 3.5in? I would eventually swap it with a universal K&N......

Navi

Autocross Champion

it IS a good place for an oil catch can. Been there done that. LOL

terryscott621

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Yeah the instructions mentioned tucking it but what I ended up doing is just squeezing the pinch clamp and rotating the hose a bit so it naturally routed in a way that I didn’t have to do any tucking or re-routing. I was worried that if I just kind of plopped the intake shroud down it would indeed pinch the already 45-ish degree angle on that rubber hose.

Do you have any pictures of how you routed this hose? Just noticed in your pics that you were able to get the hose underneath the intake box, which looks really good and would be the way I'd like it to look.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Do you have any pictures of how you routed this hose? Just noticed in your pics that you were able to get the hose underneath the intake box, which looks really good and would be the way I'd like it to look.

it would be impossible to run it over the intake box so no worries there, it’s simply too short. I’d have to take the intact duct off to show you but you can’t miss it, it’s location is right about where the A in the AMS logo is. All did was rotate the hose a bit so it was less likely to pinch it.