GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Amp Install in Mk7.5 with MIB3

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Hi. I am considering one of 3 routes in upgrading the stock stereo on my 2021 GTI SE (with MIB3 stereo). 1. Hertz Audio upgrade, 2. Audison upgrade kit (amp, front mids, and sub) or 3. full system where I add a LOC and then a few amps, one for front components, replace the front mid and tweeter, add a 2nd amp for sub and a sub.

I have heard that some people who have done this get errors about open speakers and then the fader does not work. Is there a fix with VCDS or OBD11? I am assuming that it looks for a load and when the load isn't there an error is reported. Is it as simple as coding for the fender or dynaudio system?

One last question. I have seen some posts about using a MOST splitter with MIB3 to send nav data to the digital cluster. Does this unit have a MOST connector? Is it in the box behind the glovebox or the head unit itself? Is it possible to connect this to a MOST to Toslink unit like a Audison Bit DMI to get a digital signal out of the MOST? If so does this work with all sources, Radio, Sirius, iPhone?

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
First question - yeah the fade function leaves due to the missing load, I tried adding Load generators but it didn’t work for me with my 2019 discovery dash before, and it only throws the codes visible to obd11 and vcds. When switched to a new China vw headunit the load generators worked and I got the fade function back (I don’t use it though as I have a tuned up DSP lol.)

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
First question - yeah the fade function leaves due to the missing load, I tried adding Load generators but it didn’t work for me with my 2019 discovery dash before, and it only throws the codes visible to obd11 and vcds. When switched to a new China vw headunit the load generators worked and I got the fade function back (I don’t use it though as I have a tuned up DSP lol.)
Thanks. If fade is all that is lost not a big deal. Eventually will be just front stage and sub and the sub I’ll probably do a remote boost knob.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I'm running the Audison kit, it's a pretty nice upgrade. I've got the base "S" model head unit so it required a bit more work for routing the wiring, but it's a pretty simple kit to install.
The hardest part is having to remove the A pillar covers to route their speaker wire for the stock tweeter. The Audison kit does this so they are controlled as a separate channel and not tied into the door speaker like it is done with the stock stereo. So if I was to do it again, I'd probably go ahead and purchase the Audison tweeters too (the AP1's). I've had no issues with the stock tweeters, and in fact I think they sound great with the Audison tuning, but since you're already going to be in there you might as well replace them. The tweeters are pretty cheap and they don't come with the standard kit.

As @El_bigote_AJ stated, you will lose the fader and have open circuit faults when doing an OBD11 sweep, but it does not cause any other issues and messing with the fading would throw off your DSP tuning anyways. These faults are not visible other than doing a scan in ODB11. I have not found a way to remedy these faults. The audison kit comes with "load correctors" to simulate stock speaker load but for whatever reason they haven't worked.

The sub that comes with the Audison kit is pretty great, and if you wanted to build upon the setup you could add a 2nd sub amp to power it more. The sub is rated for a good bit more power than the AP8.9 bit generates.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I'm running the Audison kit, it's a pretty nice upgrade. I've got the base "S" model head unit so it required a bit more work for routing the wiring, but it's a pretty simple kit to install.
The hardest part is having to remove the A pillar covers to route their speaker wire for the stock tweeter. The Audison kit does this so they are controlled as a separate channel and not tied into the door speaker like it is done with the stock stereo. So if I was to do it again, I'd probably go ahead and purchase the Audison tweeters too (the AP1's). I've had no issues with the stock tweeters, and in fact I think they sound great with the Audison tuning, but since you're already going to be in there you might as well replace them. The tweeters are pretty cheap and they don't come with the standard kit.

As @El_bigote_AJ stated, you will lose the fader and have open circuit faults when doing an OBD11 sweep, but it does not cause any other issues and messing with the fading would throw off your DSP tuning anyways. These faults are not visible other than doing a scan in ODB11. I have not found a way to remedy these faults. The audison kit comes with "load correctors" to simulate stock speaker load but for whatever reason they haven't worked.

The sub that comes with the Audison kit is pretty great, and if you wanted to build upon the setup you could add a 2nd sub amp to power it more. The sub is rated for a good bit more power than the AP8.9 bit generates.
Thanks. Just ordered the kit. Not available in us so found a uk seller on eBay willing to ship. Cost about same as the amp I was looking at plus a sub so not too bad price wise even with import duties.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Thanks. Just ordered the kit. Not available in us so found a uk seller on eBay willing to ship. Cost about same as the amp I was looking at plus a sub so not too bad price wise even with import duties.
Nice! I think you’ll end up being pleased. It’s a great system by itself and also a good starting point for other upgrades if you decide to (tweeters, rear door speakers, extra amp for the sub).
Yeah I lucked out and didn’t have to pay any import duties when I imported my unit to the states. I also purchased off eBay (carfeature was the seller). Great company to work with