GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

American in Germany

bmennealy

Hi all,

Quick intro here, since I expect to have a few questions in the coming months.
I'm a military guy newly stationed in Germany, and I just picked up my first VW today.
Before arriving I ordered my GTI in CSG, MT, PP, DCC, & LP. Ordered in FEB, delivered in JUN. I haven't had much time with it yet, but I've been on the autobahn and I can finally drive with confidence.
The irony is I'm living in Germany and it's an American spec GTI.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434652898.001831.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434652922.675295.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAS_STIG

Banned
it's an american spec GTI built in germany? or did they ship it from mexico? how does it pass regulations there? i thought safety standards were different? LED rear lights or ?

GaSs_ZA

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm... This is weird , even here in Africa we get the euro spec GTIs, as far as I know they only sell the el cheapo Mexico versions to the yanks ... [emoji50]

Silus

Ready to race!
I'm in the same situation. Going to pick up tomorrow in Ramstein. Any tips or things to look for on delivery? Did everything go smoothly for you? Thanks.

Heresy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
American servicemen in Germany are allowed to have their US-spec cars while they are stationed there. It's included as part of the Status of Forces agreement with Germany. If he were to have bought a Euro-spec car, he would not have been allowed to ship it back to the States.

bmennealy

American servicemen in Germany are allowed to have their US-spec cars while they are stationed there. It's included as part of the Status of Forces agreement with Germany. If he were to have bought a Euro-spec car, he would not have been allowed to ship it back to the States.

This

bmennealy

I'm in the same situation. Going to pick up tomorrow in Ramstein. Any tips or things to look for on delivery? Did everything go smoothly for you? Thanks.

All went smoothly for me. Small amount of white peeling on a couple edges, but otherwise no issues that I'm aware of.

DAS_STIG

Banned

Cool. So was it a Mexican built gti or a German built one to usa spec?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
VIN number is 17 digits long.

Digit 11 normally denotes the plant where it was built.

For example M - Puebla, Mexico
P - Mosel, Germany
W - Wolfsburg, Germany

In my case W- Wolfsburg, Germany

A previous JSW was M - Puebla, Mexico