GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

American in Germany

DAS_STIG

Banned
All I'm simply stating is if you read post 6 he states a euro spec car can't be imported into the states which is 100% false

it's not 100% false... it's true, sort of. you can't import a euro spec as it sits. you would need to alter it (potentially) to meet US safety spec and then you can register it to be driven.

bmennealy

Speed limiter: I'm sure you'll find German VCDS users who can help. A good base for asking is the forum named www.motor-talk.de. It's a German Language Forum but you always find English speaking members in the sections who can help. In motor-talk there is a list of VCDS users sorted by postal codes so you can find one nearby wherever you live in Germany.

And I agree to one of the posters before, you should change tires to something useful for the high speeds on Autobahn. Michelin Pilot SuperSport I'd highly recommend.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'll mess with the speed limiter. I'm comfortable in the 100-110 mph range when appropriate. And actually in my daily commute there's very little opportunity to get over the posted 130 kph/80 mph speed limit. And with all the hype Germany gets about driving fast, it's not the place to exceed the speed limit where it's posted. Cameras are hidden everywhere. It's legal to hide them. All you'll see is a flash and in a few weeks your ticket arrives with a pic of your smiling face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'll mess with the speed limiter. I'm comfortable in the 100-110 mph range when appropriate. And actually in my daily commute there's very little opportunity to get over the posted 130 kph/80 mph speed limit. And with all the hype Germany gets about driving fast, it's not the place to exceed the speed limit where it's posted. Cameras are hidden everywhere. It's legal to hide them. All you'll see is a flash and in a few weeks your ticket arrives with a pic of your smiling face.

Have you done 124? Should be top end for high quality USA car.

RaysMK7GTI

Ready to race!
it's not 100% false... it's true, sort of. you can't import a euro spec as it sits. you would need to alter it (potentially) to meet US safety spec and then you can register it to be driven.

I know that but it can be imported but has to be modified to meet our standards....still his statement is 100% false

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion

Being German and liking driving fast I know this for sure. ;) Don't know how often I was caught and got sent a picture with the ticket. :) Mostly only money... Really bad is when you get caught way too fast or several times in half a year so you have to hand out you license for a while. So only go 20 Km/h faster than the speed limit and nothing will happen. Except they take your money. ;)

Btw, these "130 Km/h" are not a general speed limit, only a recommendation. Without any penalty for riding faster. A limit only is shown from the special traffic signs. I there is none, you are allowed to go as fast as you like and the general traffic/street/weather situation makes possible without danger.

Heresy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I know that but it can be imported but has to be modified to meet our standards....still his statement is 100% false

Good heavens. I would argue, but why bother.