GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ambient light mod for trim above glove box ?

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Has any one worked out or done a mod to add an ambient light accent to the horizontal trim strip that runs across the passenger side of the dash above the glove box ? The design of the trim strip looks the same as the ones in the top of the front doors, albeit with the actual led strip replaced by a solid white looking non led piece ? Just thought if this could be tied into the door illumination somehow, it would look really cool at night ?

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Sorry for reviving this post, I am doing this mod right now so I can tell you. I bought the led trim insert off aliexpress it came with a white led, the trim piece with the led diffuser, and wires to run and splice into your harness. I am splicing into the 12v ambient illumination in the center console so the led will be dimming. The hard part is actually running the wires because the area behind that trim piece isn't designed for the led so dropping the glove box is required to fit it. I have some photos if you want to see my process.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Has any one worked out or done a mod to add an ambient light accent to the horizontal trim strip that runs across the passenger side of the dash above the glove box ? The design of the trim strip looks the same as the ones in the top of the front doors, albeit with the actual led strip replaced by a solid white looking non led piece ? Just thought if this could be tied into the door illumination somehow, it would look really cool at night ?
Looks like I'm late to the party, but since this thread has been bumped already......

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/rgb-ambient-lighting-for-mk7-and-mk7-5.381507/

Done and done.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Sorry for reviving this post, I am doing this mod right now so I can tell you. I bought the led trim insert off aliexpress it came with a white led, the trim piece with the led diffuser, and wires to run and splice into your harness. I am splicing into the 12v ambient illumination in the center console so the led will be dimming. The hard part is actually running the wires because the area behind that trim piece isn't designed for the led so dropping the glove box is required to fit it. I have some photos if you want to see my process.
20210606_105406.jpg

Attachments

• 20210607_161616.jpg
    20210607_161616.jpg
    997.7 KB · Views: 363