GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ambient: 73 - Oil: 275 - overheating & misfires at Sonoma

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Bob, the shop took care of the spark plug gaps for me. They reported the old plugs we're mis-gapped so I am confident they've gapped the new ones correctly. I'm waiting for their report on other possible causes but may just have them reduce the red line shift point.
Good to hear, hopefully the plugs are the only issue.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
For DSG fluid heat, shouldn't be as concerning assuming the fluid has been changed at the right intervals. Colder coolant/oil means cooler DSG fluid as it's all related. Make sure your car has the OEM DSG breather box installed which is housed on the left side of the battery tray under the intake. This avoids the very real issue of DSG fluid expansion at high temps and DSG fluid gets everywhere.

What is this OEM DSG breather box? Does it not come standard?

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
What is this OEM DSG breather box? Does it not come standard?
For the DQ381 it’s part number 0GC301472D and I think cost around $40.

It’s just a small box to catch overflow (#13 in the diagram below). For whatever reason some cars have it and others just have a little cap. It’s very easy to retrofit if your car didn’t come with it.

7EC5BD2B-6FE1-4E34-9837-32E73566E19E.jpeg

scrllock

Autocross Champion
For the DQ381 it’s part number 0GC301472D and I think cost around $40.

It’s just a small box to catch overflow (#13 in the diagram below). For whatever reason some cars have it and others just have a little cap. It’s very easy to retrofit if your car didn’t come with it.
I assume your 2019 didn't come with it? I don't see anything like that near the tray/intake on mine.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I assume your 2019 didn't come with it? I don't see anything like that near the tray/intake on mine.
I know my 2016 GTI didn't have it and after a track day I really noticed my driver side wheel well was covered in trans fluid. The stock cap on the breather was a pain to take off, I basically had to break the plastic (#25 above) but after putting on that #13 part I didn't have any overflow issues at the track. To get to the trans breather, you just need to take off the intake box and you'll see it under the front lip of the battery tray.

The overflow is hard to see/diagnose since you can't really see that area with the intake/battery there typically but just know when your DSG fluid gets hot on track days it expands out that breather and leaks all over the trans casing and wheel well.

Also just to make sure you're looking in the right place with the hood open, on the tray where the car battery sits, that box sits clipped attached on the left side and its maybe a 4x3x1" plastic piece like shown above. The full piece is the box and maybe an 18" hose that goes to the breather cap from the trans.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I know my 2016 GTI didn't have it and after a track day I really noticed my driver side wheel well was covered in trans fluid. The stock cap on the breather was a pain to take off, I basically had to break the plastic but after putting on that part I didn't have any overflow issues at the track. To get to it, you just need to take off the intake box and you'll see it under the front lip of the battery tray.

The overflow is hard to see/diagnose since you can't really see that area with the intake/battery there typically but just know when your DSG fluid gets hot on track days it expands out that breather and leaks all over the trans casing and wheel well.
Did you have to take the turbo outlet hose out? Hard to see the area from that part diagram. Surprised '19s wouldn't have it given the part # (0gc is the dq381 transmission ref.)

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Did you have to take the turbo outlet hose out? Hard to see the area from that part diagram. Surprised '19s wouldn't have it given the part # (0gc is the dq381 transmission ref.)
No didn't touch the turbo outlet hose, inlet hose you just maneuver around a bit and isn't an issue. The main thing is taking out the full intake box that holds your air filter. The outlet hose past the turbo is somewhat close to that part but not a clearance issue. If you have aftermarket boost pipes then maybe it would be more tight.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
No didn't touch the turbo outlet hose, inlet hose you just maneuver around a bit and isn't an issue. The main thing is taking out the full intake box that holds your air filter. The outlet hose past the turbo is somewhat close to that part but not a clearance issue. If you have aftermarket boost pipes then maybe it would be more tight.
Took a look while I had the piping out, yep, easy to find now. Where did you mount the box itself?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Took a look while I had the piping out, yep, easy to find now. Where did you mount the box itself?
It should clip directly to the battery tray, there should be a little indent to clip it to the left side of the tray, it is an OEM part that is meant to go there.

Last edited: