GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alzor 881 or Ampliform?

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I know, I know, opposite ends of the spectrum so to speak. I tried to order Ampliforms from Discount Tire a couple of weeks ago but their inventory was off and the wheels were out of stock. So I can wait it out, or after seeing Bassman's car I've really been liking the Alzor 881 LM reps.

Bassman and Jarbar (Ampliform's) are the two best examples of each I have found, and I'm really just looking for any insight I haven't been OCD on yet. I really like the classic silver with polished lips but bronze on Pure White looks awesome. I'll gain weight, or stay the same, over stock with Alzor, and they are less expensive. Ampliforms will be lighter and arguably more sporty.

What I'm really concerned about is durability and strength. These will be daily drivers and I will have them for a while. Our roads are pretty good around here but 80 mph on the highway over bridge expansion joints can be jarring. For reference I'll run 18x8.5 on General Gmax-A/S with VWR springs.

Thoughts? Any experience with Alzor or Konig long term durability?

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
i had alzors (interlagos) on my MK5, they are heavy but if you don't mind the weight they are great option imo if you don't want to spend much.i ran them throughout the year for about 5 years till i totaled my car, took them off and sold it. i live in NJ where roads are terrible and i never had issues with them.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
i had alzors (interlagos) on my MK5, they are heavy but if you don't mind the weight they are great option imo if you don't want to spend much.i ran them throughout the year for about 5 years till i totaled my car, took them off and sold it. i live in NJ where roads are terrible and i never had issues with them.

Good to know. I'm mainly concerned with the thin outer lip on the 881 being susceptible to bending. Also, a quick check on the ECS website shows the 881 as 24.5#. Thats basically same as stock Austin's I believe?

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I had 18x8 Konig Ultraforms with 235/40/18 on my ST for 2 years as a "everything but winter" wheel on the less than stellar roads around Chicago. I never even got so much as a paint nick on them.

I just went with 18x8.5 Konig Hypergrams in bronze on my white GTI. They happened to be the only flow formed Konigs that DiscountTireDirect.com had available. The strength and weight savings are worth it to me. I had a set of Alzor RS4 reps on my Sportwagen and Jetta, and the finish was a bit cheap, but they held up to the roads just fine. Same weight as stock didn't help performance in any aspect.

Being patient and waiting for the right wheel and deal will be worth it. You won't have that regret a year or 2 down the road that you didn't wait a few extra weeks in the first place.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I had 18x8 Konig Ultraforms with 235/40/18 on my ST for 2 years as a "everything but winter" wheel on the less than stellar roads around Chicago. I never even got so much as a paint nick on them.

I just went with 18x8.5 Konig Hypergrams in bronze on my white GTI. They happened to be the only flow formed Konigs that DiscountTireDirect.com had available. The strength and weight savings are worth it to me. I had a set of Alzor RS4 reps on my Sportwagen and Jetta, and the finish was a bit cheap, but they held up to the roads just fine. Same weight as stock didn't help performance in any aspect.

Being patient and waiting for the right wheel and deal will be worth it. You won't have that regret a year or 2 down the road that you didn't wait a few extra weeks in the first place.

I saw your car in the Hypergram thread, looks great! They were out of those as well when I inquired. Konig's are on fire right now.

You're right though, just wait it out. I'm not the patient type once I have my mind set. In the end I'll net out the same as Discount Tire gave me a $100 off coupon since their inventory was wrong. It's a no brainer considering that but damn I hate the waiting game!

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I put Ampliforms on mine a week ago. Absolutely love them

Attachments

• GTI-Ampliform1.jpg
    GTI-Ampliform1.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 4,198
  • GTI-Ampliform2.jpg
    GTI-Ampliform2.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 1,583
  • GTI-Ampliform4.jpg
    GTI-Ampliform4.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 793

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I love my Alzor 881

I had the Motegi Traklite flow form in 17” before which where really light ~17 lbs but I don’t feel any difference when I put the 18” Alzor 881 ~25 lbs on.

K.Nikkz

Ready to race!
I ran Alzors on my B5 for like 4 years. Hit a ton of potholes (I live in PA), and never had an issue with bends/cracks/etc. I had 205/40/18 tires and they had a touch of stretch, still no issues. And I bought them used. I'd have them on my GTI but I curbed the shit out of two of them that I'm in the process of cleaning up. If you don't care about the weight, I would feel completely confident about the Alzors.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Ended up with Alzor. ECS has a 25% off sale right now so 4 wheels were $438. Hard to pass that up and I love the look of Bassmans car. Can’t wait to get them and get tires mounted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Ended up with Alzor. ECS has a 25% off sale right now so 4 wheels were $438. Hard to pass that up and I love the look of Bassmans car. Can’t wait to get them and get tires mounted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have PP brakes ?

If so you would need a 3mm spacer up front, but don’t worry they will fit !

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Do you have PP brakes ?

If so you would need a 3mm spacer up front, but don’t worry they will fit !

I do but I saw another set of 881’s in the exact same size that specifically say you need a 3mm spacer. The set I ordered do not say that so I’ll call Monday morning to clarify.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I do but I saw another set of 881’s in the exact same size that specifically say you need a 3mm spacer. The set I ordered do not say that so I’ll call Monday morning to clarify.

Configure Golf R on ECS website with the same wheels and they will show that a 3mm spacer is needed.

I got 5mm and 10mm spacers from 42 Draft Designs (42DD) for the front/rear.
They are hub conversion from 57.1mm to 66.6mm so you don’t need to run hub rings on these spacers.
They fit perfect and I have absolutely no vibrations!