GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alternator charge voltage.

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
I was having the transmission error, off of a low battery it seems like. I put in a new h6 agm battery and seemed to fix it but now the alternator is still charging the new battery like it’s old around (13.5) how do I get the alternator to realize it’s a new battery and charge accordingly??

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I just looked an seen that the obd11 is on iOS, but they are all negative reviews for it.

I suspect at least some of those are for the earliest days of iOS support. The initial version was stripped of many features, but they've gradually brought it up to snuff with the Android version. Zero complaints from me, and I've used it both ways.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I was having the transmission error, off of a low battery it seems like. I put in a new h6 agm battery and seemed to fix it but now the alternator is still charging the new battery like it’s old around (13.5) how do I get the alternator to realize it’s a new battery and charge accordingly??
You do need to code the battery...using odb11 or a vagcom

Alternator voltage will drop with respect to temperature...Also, the hotter the battery gets then less overall charge it will take.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Where are you now? And most dealers will do the battery adaptation for free if you don't want to spend the money for OBDeleven or VCDS.

In my decades of experience with a plethora of VW dealerships, my experience is exactly the opposite - that most dealers won't do anything for free, especially to help with something purchased elsewhere. My advice: bring lots of cash and extra lube if having a dealership code it.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

In my decades of experience with a plethora of VW dealerships, my experience is exactly the opposite - that most dealers won't do anything for free, especially to help with something purchased elsewhere. My advice: bring lots of cash and extra lube if having a dealership code it.
They will "do it for free" if you buy an h6 battery from them for $199-249...they will charge for them...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Penske in Scottsdale will.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Penske in Scottsdale will.

Never had any experience with their service dept, but my girl bought a Jetta TDI from them years ago and the entire experience was stellar. Penske dealerships I've dealt with have all been well run. Unfortunately most dealerships are not as well run nor as generous with free assistance.

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
You do need to code the battery...using odb11 or a vagcom

Alternator voltage will drop with respect to temperature...Also, the hotter the battery gets then less overall charge it will take.
You mean like the temperature outside in the summer will cause it to charge lower? Or just the temp of the batt

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
You mean like the temperature outside in the summer will cause it to charge lower? Or just the temp of the batt
Both....

The float voltage is around 13.5v depending on the specific chemistry of the battery.
Battery-Chargers-2.jpg

I suggest doing some self study using google and youtube on how batteries and alternators operate.