GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost put my car in a ditch.....

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
Light rain, older asphalt road, a left hand corner going the speed limit.....and stock Potenzas. Scary.

These tires not only suck, they're dangerous. I can't imagine letting my wife or kids drive a car with these tires. I'm spoiled by 10+ years of using A/S 3+ and guess I forgot tires this bad even existed.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Light rain, older asphalt road, a left hand corner going the speed limit.....and stock Potenzas. Scary.

These tires not only suck, they're dangerous. I can't imagine letting my wife or kids drive a car with these tires. I'm spoiled by 10+ years of using A/S 3+ and guess I forgot tires this bad even existed.

Don’t gotta justify it to us, ditch those hockey pucks and enjoy what these cars are made to do!

(My wife would blame me for the stock tires being shitty lol)

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
I was going to try and stick it out until these were worn, but nah.

I'll probably try the Conti DSW. Lighter, cheaper and longer life than the A/S 3+. I'm driving a lot these days and need a long life tire.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'll probably try the Conti DSW. Lighter, cheaper and longer life than the A/S 3+. I'm driving a lot these days and need a long life tire.

I just put DSW's on my R. Replaced OEM Pirelli PZero's, which weren't a bad tire at all, if not spectacular. So far I like the DSWs, though they do have a software sidewall and are not as directionally stable on-center as the Pirellis were. But grip is fantastic now that I've got a few miles on them, and they should wear like iron. Plus I can now drive in slush and sub-40 degree temps, something summer tires are no bueno for.

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
Thanks for the review. I don't need the snow capabilities, just the long life. I couldn't get more than 25-30k out of a set of AS3s.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Yeah, the wait might not be worth it.

I had Conti DWS on mine and was very happy with the performance. You will get good life with those tires as well.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If you’re in TX I wouldn’t see a need for DWS.

For even cheaper still I run Indy 500 Firehawks year around in Charlotte, NC.

Summer only tires so obviously don’t push the car below 55* but that’s maybe 30 days per year here. I got 37k out of my last set.

Had two sets of DWS in Ohio on my old mk6 and got 30k MAX out of them with no where near the performance of the Indy’s

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
I'll have to look more into the 500's. From what I've read they're pretty good. How are the sidewalls? I drive on terrible roads, so don't want too stiff of a sidewall.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

I'll probably try the Conti DSW. Lighter, cheaper and longer life than the A/S 3+. I'm driving a lot these days and need a long life tire.[/QUOTE

I've had the Conti's on my car since December and love them.
If I remember correctly they edge the Pilots out in the wet as well.
Pilots beat the Conti's in the dry.

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
I knew the stock Potenzas would suck, and sold them right after I got my car. I had and really liked the DWS, then I bought wider wheels and went to a bigger tire, and got the AS/3's. You should be able to list your Potenzas and get a few bucks for them.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

This was my situation, but with light snow...couldn't even get up my own driveway and started sliding.

I'll probably try the Conti DSW. Lighter, cheaper and longer life than the A/S 3+. I'm driving a lot these days and need a long life tire.[/QUOTE

I've had the Conti's on my car since December and love them.
If I remember correctly they edge the Pilots out in the wet as well.
Pilots beat the Conti's in the dry.

Can't say about DSW's on a MK7, but I had them on my passat and a WRX and they are somewhat noisy.

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
I knew the stock Potenzas would suck, and sold them right after I got my car. I had and really liked the DWS, then I bought wider wheels and went to a bigger tire, and got the AS/3's. You should be able to list your Potenzas and get a few bucks for them.

I hadn't thought about selling them. How much were you able to get for the set, if I may ask?

Did you have the buyer sign a disclaimer releasing you of any liability for their impending death?