GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost put my car in a ditch.....

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Almost doesn’t count...

I have the conti’s DSW 06, can’t complain one bit, even on a track day they did OK. If I were more serious about HPDE with this car, I’d have a spare set of wheels/tires.

Good luck on your new tire choice!

They are DWS!!! Not DSW lol, but yes, they are very good tires, the previous generation of them were rated better. I will get the sport comp 2 a/s though, very aggressive tire, and out performed the MPS A/S 3

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Entertaining

cb1111, mindonmatter.... DROP IT

This will be your only warning. I don't give a rats ass about either of you and if you continue squaking on every thread like children you're going to be banned. The forum will get along fine without you, trust me.

Thank you. But I was entertained for a short time by their squabble. It was similar to watching teenage girls fight.

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
The Pirelli P7's get a bad rap too... but they're honestly not that bad. I was planning on ditching them right off the lot, but I've been pleasantly surprised how hard I can push them. They're pretty good in the wet (not off the line of course), but downright scary in the snow.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The Pirelli P7's get a bad rap too... but they're honestly not that bad. I was planning on ditching them right off the lot, but I've been pleasantly surprised how hard I can push them. They're pretty good in the wet (not off the line of course), but downright scary in the snow.

I had them put on mine from teh dealer on my upgraded wheels when I purchased based on Tirerack research. I really like them so far after 10K on my GSW 4Mo. Again, just fine to me but each their own. I've gone into plenty of corners way too fast and not had an issue which leads me to believe that if I ever did get higher-performance AS or summer tires I would be blown away..ahhahaah. I had them in snow here in central VA this past winter and again, just fine to me but I've never had dedicated snows b/c here it just doesn't make sense...all what you are used to I suppose! Michelin Pilot AS, the Conti DWS 06, or Pirelli P Zeros are all on my list when I need tires next, definately staying with AS tires.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
kinda on topic.....I heard/read? someone mention it was more fun to have a decent quality tire that let loose somewhat earlier (for the street) under the slow car fast principle. Not convinced but I thought it was a valid point.

rocking the OEM Hancook Ventus that came with my car...I've out cornered them several times and have learned not to out throttle them and for speeds I am willing to go on the street they are fine.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My car came with the stock Hankooks.

They had okay grip if you pushed it but they could not withstand consistent hard driving.
By 15,000 miles they had so little tread left I could break them loose at will in 3rd gear on the highway. In the rain they were down right scary.

The tires they put on these cars (exception to the optional summers) only do one style of driving justice. If you're doing 20K a year on the highway and driving for fuel economy they're pretty alright. If you're looking for performance out of the car and you like to push it you really do yourself no favors by keeping them.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
The Potenzas aren't the greatest tires in the world but they are competent. I don't know how someone driving the speed limit almost ends up in a ditch because of them, even on rain slick road.

It happens, there are plenty of people who have actually put their cars in ditches despite going the speed limit... and I would tend to blame shitty tires wet/oil on the road.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^

When I was young (way young, no ABS on the car) I put my car into a ditch doing 40 in the 45 when I cut the wheel too hard to avoid a dog (he lived) In hindsight braking as hard as possible in a straight line would have been the smartest play, but I could only think: "don't hit that!" in the moment.

Shit happens :p

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
My first ever car (1.1 litre Ford Fiesta, don't laugh) had very cheap but new 'remoulds' (retreaded tyres) and such was their lack of grip, especially in the wet, I could perform rally-style 2 and 4 wheel slides at will. Being an off-road biker, and having ridden a bit of speedway, I thought I was cooking with gas 24/7, though a pal warned I could one day do the same in front of unimpressed cops or 'lose it' big style. Well a few weeks after calling him a 'pink & fluffy big girl's blouse with bunny rabbits & unicorns on it' (UK macho non-brave, cowardly insult), I threw the car into one of my favourite bends at a neck-snapping 25mph, expected to look like 'Joe Cool' and exit well-sideways but instead did a total 180, now faced the direction I had just arrived from. Scared me it did, put decent rubber on the next day (Dunlops). Moral; respect the limits of your car, tyres, the road and yourself, else any one of them could bit ya. Hard....

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

I have them too...and I'm in no hurry to get rid of them. I'd have to be pushing pretty hard to get them to really squeal. With the recent heavy rains in So Cal...I was really surprised how stable they felt in the wet on the highway. As for snow...it doesn't snow anywhere near where I frequent.

sadsac

Passed Driver's Ed
The potenzas aren't that bad, just a little hard compared to the best high performance tyres. Try some budget ditchfinders lol!

I'm currently on conti sport 6 on my R but love the increased comfort on 19s from A/S3