GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alltrack/GSW folks without sunroofs, have you leaked like this?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
It would suck if your experience mirrored mine, only to have the dealer butcher the car.

I have what I like to think is a good relationship with both the service director and my service advisor there. They got an email and I trust that the car will be reassembled correctly and the fingerprints rectified.

They know I’ll be on the phone with VWOA in a heartbeat if not, especially on a brand new car. It’s how I came to meet them in the first place, another dealership royally fucked up my 2016 Golf, falsified paperwork on the entire scenario, and lied to my face 4 times in a month, when it was 3 months old. I was sent to these guys to fix that massive fuck up...

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
They are blaming the conduits for the tailgate wiring harnesses at the top of the tailgate as the ingress point in our case.

Just went to pick it up today and was in no way satisfied with the headliner install.

Dirty fingerprints all over the tan A/B/C pillars and headliner.

Things just out of alignment, not mating cleanly and not tucked into weather stripping around doors and such. Wiring for the auto dimming mirror and the dash cam I installed not even tucked into the headliner.

I looked at it for about 30 seconds before I went back inside looked at the guy who did the pickup for me and said, “Nope. Car has 600 miles on it. It’s not put back together correctly.”

Took their rental car again and was on my way. This was a dealership I trust too. Just made me sad to see a bunch of amateur hour stuff coming out of there.

I had a very similar experience with my dealership as well, when mine was leaking from the sharkfin at around 10K miles. I had to refuse it twice and requested they clean the headliner....its really a function of flat rate pay for warranty repairs. They also left tools in my car twice.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
So since posting this on May 30, after nearly two months, here we are!

Quick and dirty:
  • I rejected it upon first pickup attempt.
  • I took it back after the second attempt when I found some more misaligned stuff and dirty fingerprints on the tan interior.
  • After that pickup, It went back again when the passenger d-pillar trim piece literally popped loose from where it’s supposed to be clipped in nearest to the window and was flopping around as I was driving. I noticed the clip was bent and paint was scratched. The driver side didn’t look seated properly either, but I didn’t tug on it to find out. I also noticed one of the a-pillars was improperly installed In a minor way.
  • When I was called for pickup on that repair, I immediately noticed the a-pillar trim was filthy and not addressed properly. The rear center hatch trim on the interior roof of the car which they took off to do the d-pillars was not seated or aligned properly. There was a 1/2“ gap because it wasn’t snapped in. I rejected the car again and finally showed them my now significant anger.
  • They delivered the car to me later that day fixed as expected. It sat for a week, we didn’t even get in it. Then we drove out to the coast and noticed a significant rattle. I went poking around and found that both of the lower c-pillar/door trims that run down alongside the back seats and meet the weather stripping at the door were not seated. Not even clipped in.
  • The car went back in. Everything got taken out and the job was done over again and documented with photos. There wer even some new parts ordered as deemed necessary. They had it another week and a half or something.
  • Got it back yesterday 7/23. Seems okay, finally.

The car is 98% right there are things I see that I’m not 100% satisfied with and likely never will be unless I tore it apart and did it myself, but whatever, I’m through with all this nonsense. At least everything is tight and there are no rattles.

If it leaks again, I’m not sure what I’ll do.

ecsmtb711

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
17 Alltrack SE - The dreaded sunroof leak. It's BAD. Pretty much encompassing the whole headliner from the rear passenger seats, back to the trunk, which has now filled with water. I called two local dealerships, both of whom had pretty lukewarm reactions about it. No loaner available for <month, suggested I rent a car instead since they don't know how long it could take. We leased the car from new, took it back for the sunroof drain recall, bought out our lease and then with this last rain storm, BAM. Been reading all the horror stories online about people's experiences. We've loved this car and taken great care of it, but I'm simply not paying for this work out of pocket. Read about the buy-backs as well. Seems like that's the only solution that makes the owner somewhat whole. Any Bay Area folks have a recommendation for a dealer who handles this well? Thank you!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
We've loved this car and taken great care of it, but I'm simply not paying for this work out of pocket.
Firstly, if you’re out of warranty (with it being a ‘17 I suspect you are) don’t expect this to be covered at no expense. Technically VW is under zero legal obligation to take care of this at no cost at this time. Thats the unfortunate reality.

I see you’re in Sonoma, far from me here in the South Bay, otherwise I’d recommend Stevens Creek VW which is who repaired our non-sunroof model. I’ve heard good things about Serramonte, which is still not right around the corner, but closer to you than Stevens Creek.

I’d get it into a dealership and see what they say and then I’d contact VWOA, state your case politely but firmly and ask for a goodwill repair. You did everything you were supposed to do as an owner to help prevent this (performed their recall for their known and abundantly documented design defect).

When the car gets put back together, ask for many photos of the interior before you spend your time driving to go pick it up. Ask to see photos of all the gaps in the panels and for them to ensure they are properly installed/attached tightly. One of my D-pillars literally fell off as I was going down the road. I had to make 3 return trips to Steven’s Creek before it was all together right, but I knew they would make it right. This was also right at the beginning of pandemic and they had a skeleton crew working, probably not their top people, and I don’t entirely blame them for my return trips given that situation, everybody was hurting.

Good luck.

ecsmtb711

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Firstly, if you’re out of warranty (with it being a ‘17 I suspect you are) don’t expect this to be covered at no expense. Technically VW is under zero legal obligation to take care of this at no cost at this time. Thats the unfortunate reality.

I see you’re in Sonoma, far from me here in the South Bay, otherwise I’d recommend Stevens Creek VW which is who repaired our non-sunroof model. I’ve heard good things about Serramonte, which is still not right around the corner, but closer to you than Stevens Creek.

I’d get it into a dealership and see what they say and then I’d contact VWOA, state your case politely but firmly and ask for a goodwill repair. You did everything you were supposed to do as an owner to help prevent this (performed their recall for their known and abundantly documented design defect).

When the car gets put back together, ask for many photos of the interior before you spend your time driving to go pick it up. Ask to see photos of all the gaps in the panels and for them to ensure they are properly installed/attached tightly. One of my D-pillars literally fell off as I was going down the road. I had to make 3 return trips to Steven’s Creek before it was all together right, but I knew they would make it right. This was also right at the beginning of pandemic and they had a skeleton crew working, probably not their top people, and I don’t entirely blame them for my return trips given that situation, everybody was hurting.

Good luck.
Annnnnnnnnnnd correct. After almost two months of back and forth with VWOA they decided "my case did not merit any action" and closed it. No buyback, no offer to just blow out the drains, no solution of any kind. Since it is our only vehicle and the dealer said they'd need it for 2+ weeks, I asked if they could help cover a rental car, since "no loaners are available for months," to which they said no.

Any idea what a '17 SE with 72XXX is worth with this type of damage?

We've really loved this car and I've loved my GTI's, but will never purchase another VW.