GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alignment & Sensors on '18 Golf R?

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
So I came from a 2018 S4 Prestige so I had the traffic jam assist where it'd steer for you in traffic. It was pretty cool but after an accident - my sensors got f'd up (i went w/ a rs4 style grille too) and like a whole buncha shit. Basically it stopped working and the stealership wanted to charge me like $1k to calibrate it. I also couldn't really do an alignment for that same reason as everything wouldve needed to be recalibrated.

I was wondering if the Golf R has anything similar? We don't have 360 cameras or really any kind of autodrive. Just the mild lane assist & ACC. Can I buy the lifetime Firestone Alignment Package (is that even still a thing?) or should I go to a shop or am I stuck dealership only? Research online is pretty inconclusive as some ppl say no, some people say yes only dealers and must be recalibrated after every alignment. There's nothing noticeably wrong w/ my alignment right now but as I cant avoid ALL potholes, I'm sure it's been a little out of whack.

Thanks!

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I‘ve had numerous alignments through local tire shops, and never once had to touch my ACC alignment settings, and they still work.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
My Dad is all about them, but he’s into the off-road type vehicles.

If your local shop does decent alignments, I don’t see why it would hurt.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I had to have my ACC sensor re-alligned due to raising my car up from being lower than I wanted when I installed coilovers.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
According to a dealer they're saying my sensors are misaligned. They found scratches under the bumper and they said it couldve gotten misaligned when "I bottomed out" or "hit a pothole extra hard" but like I got this used -I have no idea how underbody damage got there... so it's like now im SOL. they want $700 for the realignment ... since it's not warranty covered

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
According to a dealer they're saying my sensors are misaligned. They found scratches under the bumper and they said it couldve gotten misaligned when "I bottomed out" or "hit a pothole extra hard" but like I got this used -I have no idea how underbody damage got there... so it's like now im SOL. they want $700 for the realignment ... since it's not warranty covered
Ouch, that's a lot.

Mine was $215 which I was okay with. If they said $700 I would have told them to pound sand. Granted that's redneck Idaho, but I would have called elsewhere and asked around.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I haven't done it yet. But i'm scared all the NYC area dealers would quote the same price for this fix

The first time the fault code surfaced on my car, about a year ago, I was able to clear it with OBDeleven. The second time I couldn't.

Might be worth a shot there if you have it, or someone you know does.

Otherwise call around.