GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alignment off after rear sway bar install?

theangnat

I recently installed the 034 adjustable RSB onto my 2015 R. I'm not lowered so just used the stock end links. Install went pretty smoothly other than struggling to get the end link to sway bar torqued correctly; the triple square in that spot makes it a pain in the ass.

I had an alignment done 6 weeks before doing the install and the car was driving straight. After the install, there's a noticeable pull to the right. I know the solve is to just go get another alignment and have them double check my torquing, but I'm curious what exactly could be the cause of a rear sway bar install throwing off the alignment. I know it's not an exactly scientific approach; in theory the car could have been pulling before and I didn't notice etc etc but I'm fairly certain the RSB has thrown off the alignment and want to know what in the suspension geometry could have affected this.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I agree with David. Unless you loosened things in addition to the swaybar attachment points, the install should not change alignment.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Maybe they didn't install it correctly or left something loose. I agree with the others. A RSB installation does not require an alignment.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
when the endlinks and bushings were tightened, was the suspension evenly loaded? if the wheels were up in the air, or you did one side at a time, you will cause the bar to load up unevenly when the car is placed back on the ground.

theangnat

when the endlinks and bushings were tightened, was the suspension evenly loaded? if the wheels were up in the air, or you did one side at a time, you will cause the bar to load up unevenly when the car is placed back on the ground.
That will be the issue. Did most of the tightening of these while the wheels were still up in the air. The endlinks are a pain in the ass to get to when the car's down. I think I'll take it in for an alignment and let them know to maybe just retorque all of the RSB points.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
That would definitely do it! if they loosen all of the connection points to let the parts settle, and then re-tighten them while the car is resting on the suspension, it should fix the issue.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
That will be the issue. Did most of the tightening of these while the wheels were still up in the air. The endlinks are a pain in the ass to get to when the car's down. I think I'll take it in for an alignment and let them know to maybe just retorque all of the RSB points.
Lift up the car and carefully lower the car onto the jack stands under the lower control arms. Loosen all the sway bar bolts and re torque.

donJimenez

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GSW 1.8t
Use a pair of ramps when tightening back there. I would think you will mis-align the car if you take it in (and then retighten correctly)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Use a pair of ramps when tightening back there. I would think you will mis-align the car if you take it in (and then retighten correctly)

Yep, I did both my 18 and 19 on ramps. Super easy.

Does not apply to an R. Help buddy do his and there's not as much room back there.

theangnat

Yep, I did both my 18 and 19 on ramps. Super easy.

Does not apply to an R. Help buddy do his and there's not as much room back there.
Yep the brackets were easy to get to, the bottom of the end links where they connect to the control arm were easy, but the top of the end links where they connect to the sway bar were a pain. I kept the stock endlinks so it's that silly triple-square inside the actual nut that has to be tightened.

Taking it to a shop later this week and having them take it all off and retorque everything.