GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Filter "Snow" Baffle?

VWGTI

Ready to race!
It's supposed to catch moisture I think? I'm not quite too sure what it does either.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Is it really designed to exclude snow? If I remove it, does the element still lay where it belongs?

I haven’t seen any official name on this grill. Could “snow guard” be a guess made up by this forum? My guess is that it’s a muffler. Had one on my former Golf 6 GTI as well.

You can do without it.

When I removed it I broke mine in one corner. The spare part price was about 10 USD / 10 EUR at the dealer.

/Peter

shep13

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have a picture of this thing? I'm still waiting to take delivery of my car so I can't check myself.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Scottmk7

Ready to race!
Here you go.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Scottmk7

Ready to race!
Thanks! And where exactly is it located?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
In the air box under the air filter. So you open up the top of yor air box and take out the air filter and it is sitting right there.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I haven’t seen any official name on this grill. Could “snow guard” be a guess made up by this forum? My guess is that it’s a muffler. Had one on my former Golf 6 GTI as well.

You can do without it.

When I removed it I broke mine in one corner. The spare part price was about 10 USD / 10 EUR at the dealer.

/Peter

Snow screen is the official name

defcon5

Ready to race!
My MK3 1995 GTI VR6 had similar snow screen. Went into the trash bin 2 days after I purchase the car. Eventually traded that in for an A4 in 2002 after 140K miles

In some VW literature it's called snow screen (ELSA, Erwin), in some it's called grille (ETKA).
I don't know if it's really meant to absorb any snow. Well, of course it could. In that case,
"hot climate versions" would probably come without it. It doesn't neccessarily need to be
true, but at least I've remember reading "somewhere" (VW literature, probably SSP or similar),
that this grille is aimed at distributing the airflow over the entire area of the filter element.
Either way, it definitely isn't a muffler. A plastic grille cannot effectively dampen any noise.
Removing that thing you probably gain nothing. If you want unrestricted air flow, get a new
filter element regularly (say, once a year). It's quite cheap (Mann, Wix, OE VW).

Great info btw.:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7514

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Quick fix if you remove the snow guard to allow for even filter distribution.

Rotate your filter 180 degrees every half service interval. Easy peasy.