GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Filter "Snow" Baffle?

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Please try searching. There are multiple threads on the subject.

It's exactly what VW says it is and it isn't installed in cars sold in hot climates.

The intent of having the part might have been to keep snow off the air filter, but it's possible that a side effect is more even distribution of dirt on the filter.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The intent of having the part might have been to keep snow off the air filter, but it's possible that a side effect is more even distribution of dirt on the filter.

You've mentioned that multiple times. Until a definitive test is performed, this thread with continue with proof such as "highly likely" and "it's possible."

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
You've mentioned that multiple times. Until a definitive test is performed, this thread with continue with proof such as "highly likely" and "it's possible."

Yes. I'm confident there will not be a definitive test performed with this part and the discussion will remain in the realm of the hypothetical. That's the norm for these discussion forums.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes, VW doesn't care about hot climates air filters.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I live in a desert. Ain't nothing the snow guard can do for me as the dirt here is super fine.

My comment was sarcasm. The filter is exactly what VW says it is and does exactly what the name says it does. VW doesn't include it in regions that are considered hot climates. All of NA, even if it's hot, is considered a cold climate due to Canada and Northern part of US.

If it had any other purpose, VW would just install it in all geographic regions. Any perceived distribution of debris on the filter is coincidental and not designed by VW or they would include it in all regions.

Can we please ban anyone else that opens a thread about this?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
My comment was sarcasm. The filter is exactly what VW says it is and does exactly what the name says it does. VW doesn't include it in regions that are considered hot climates. All of NA, even if it's hot, is considered a cold climate due to Canada and Northern part of US.

If it had any other purpose, VW would just install it in all geographic regions. Any perceived distribution of debris on the filter is coincidental and not designed by VW or they would include it in all regions.

Can we please ban anyone else that opens a thread about this?

Let's talk about octane and valve carbon build up instead!