GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air conditioning only blows cold when moving

PeteM1965

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI
Hi all

I have a 2018 GTI SE with manual climate control. The A/C blows ice cold when the car is moving. But when in stop and go traffic or idling it is barely cooled at all. I had a similar problem with a BMW which turned out to be a broken condenser fan. Does the GTI have a condenser fan?

Thanks

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Sounds like the fan. You are still under warranty, no?

PeteM1965

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI
Yes, definitely under warranty. So there is a fan in the engine compartment? Thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, definitely under warranty. So there is a fan in the engine compartment? Thanks

All cars have a fan. When you were stopped at a light did the coolant start to get hotter also? Of course that's hard to tell with our crappy temperature gauge. Just open the hood when you're stopped and with the AC on high and see if the fan is working.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Be aware that the AC has a clutch for fuel economy purposes. I’m not exactly sure how it works but under some conditions the AC does not run even when the button has been pushed.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Be aware that the AC has a clutch for fuel economy purposes. I’m not exactly sure how it works but under some conditions the AC does not run even when the button has been pushed.
It’s a variable axial position pump. It’s controlled by an N280 valve, doesn’t have a clutch. I would check the fan, see if it’s working.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
can you explain what that means please?
Some cars have a fixed axial piston pump with an electric clutch to control flow. Vw/Audi use a variable axial piston pump with a valve that moves a swash plate to adjust the flow of the pump(the n280 valve on mine whines pretty loud when it’s cold outside) Type those two terms into google and it’ll show you a diagram.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The bottom line is that the A/C compressor runs all the time. The N280 valve controls how much coolant flows through the system, and thus the temperature of the cabin, and the load on the engine. A clutch based system is like a home heating thermostat, it's either on all the way or off all the way.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
check to see if the fan is spinning, also check to see if the clutch is spinning with the ac is on. Also check to see if it stops when it is off.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Some cars have a fixed axial piston pump with an electric clutch to control flow. Vw/Audi use a variable axial piston pump with a valve that moves a swash plate to adjust the flow of the pump(the n280 valve on mine whines pretty loud when it’s cold outside) Type those two terms into google and it’ll show you a diagram.
Thank you very much. Based on this and my experience, I wonder if the OP is noticing the times when the flow of the pump is reduced. I know it makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Thank you very much. Based on this and my experience, I wonder if the OP is noticing the times when the flow of the pump is reduced. I know it makes a big difference.
Good point, could also be the N280 valve in the compressor as you mentioned.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Mine is the same. I live in DC, and from day one the car has been unbearable during the summer to the point of wanting to avoid it. Even after an hour it would still be uncomfortable, yet if I were to jump on a highway it would be crazy cold within minutes. I changed it to hot country and didn’t really notice a difference.

Coincidentally my A/C died last week (4yrs/30k) and the car is going in next week. Will be interesting to find out what’s wrong.