GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
If you are not rubbing in the back with the 10mm spacer, you need a 5mm up front, this car is set to have the front wheels around 5mm further out than the back. That's why the sell the "flush" kits with a 5mm offset front to back. Do you have coilovers or just springs? I'm lowering mine this weekend and I added the EuroSport pucks to add some camber just in case. I'm running 245/40/18 on et42 wheels with a 5mm spacer in the back.
Im on coilovers.

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
18x8.5 ET45 ,245/40r18 . Distance from centre of the wheel to top of wheel arch 330mm (@ 13”inches ) 8K linear coil spring I need to do the screw mod .Only rubs over steep speed humps and caning it over B grade roads .
Cheers

Attachments

• 1D80E5C4-E9F9-4D4F-BC6C-C2CCCC064268.jpeg
    1D80E5C4-E9F9-4D4F-BC6C-C2CCCC064268.jpeg
    834.7 KB · Views: 151

davidk1175

Ready to race!
I rub with 225's, but I am pretty low, which generated some forward caster. Im also running a 18x8 ET44 wheel with a 10mm spacer. Probably pulling the spacers off the front this weekend because I just rub everywhere the road isnt smooth as glass. Sure hope it clears the brake calipers, if not then I will be ordering another set of spacers, just maybe get like some 5mms and pray that works. Im almost to the point of justifying a set of custom Work wheels lol.
So pull the spacer off and run the wheel by itself and it won’t rub at all. I run 18x8 at +45 with a PSS at 255/35 and pilot super sports are 3.5 mm bigger than any tire in the class. You need camber plates or a correct coil over to run that aggressive. Your struts are probably blown and hitting the bump stops and then bouncing and hitting the fender/fender lining. If you dm me a video of the sounds or take photos of the tire I can tell you exactly what it is.

lplim

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 GTI (LB9Z)
People never believe how bad the base Sachs suspension is with lowering springs.

They just collapse into the bump stops and the car just bobs and crashes.
Agreed. Lowering springs for this vehicle is just marketing bs. Absolutely 0 no springs ride well unless you go B6 / B8 / KY dampers and at that rate, might as well go B12/B16.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
So pull the spacer off and run the wheel by itself and it won’t rub at all. I run 18x8 at +45 with a PSS at 255/35 and pilot super sports are 3.5 mm bigger than any tire in the class. You need camber plates or a correct coil over to run that aggressive. Your struts are probably blown and hitting the bump stops and then bouncing and hitting the fender/fender lining. If you dm me a video of the sounds or take photos of the tire I can tell you exactly what it is.
Pulled front spacers off, doesnt clear the brake calipers. Uggh.

banditti

Car(s)
MK7 TDI Golf
New MK7 Golf owner question. I have read through this and just want to make sure I have it right. I have always liked the look of the attached wheels from my Audi days. I know Alzor makes a knock of set, but if I wanted to go with the Audi's I think I have 2 options. Factory ride height

Goal, no rubbing, no jacking with camber. It is a TDI so I don't want to kill

A3 version - 18x7.5 ET54
A5/S5 version - 19x8.5J ET40

A couple of questions:

Will the both work?
Tire size recommendations?
I see the main difference as Ride vs Looks? Am I missing anything?
It is a TDI, so would 19's effect MPG?
Would I need hubcentric rings?
Missing anything else?

Recommendations in general?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 4.50.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 4.50.30 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 52

davidk1175

Ready to race!
New MK7 Golf owner question. I have read through this and just want to make sure I have it right. I have always liked the look of the attached wheels from my Audi days. I know Alzor makes a knock of set, but if I wanted to go with the Audi's I think I have 2 options. Factory ride height

Goal, no rubbing, no jacking with camber. It is a TDI so I don't want to kill

A3 version - 18x7.5 ET54
A5/S5 version - 19x8.5J ET40

A couple of questions:

Will the both work?
Tire size recommendations?
I see the main difference as Ride vs Looks? Am I missing anything?
It is a TDI, so would 19's effect MPG?
Would I need hubcentric rings?
Missing anything else?

Recommendations in general?
Are you buying the real wheels or replica? If it’s replica then you will need hubcentric rings. Note about hub rings, they are a wheel alignment tool that is left on the hub. They are a purely consumable item, metal ones are a waste and can easily get stuck. Get the hub size from the manufacture spec sheet and order some from your choice of retailer, often if you ask your retailer they will include them with the wheels. If you stick to the stick Golf R size the diameter should be very close to your stock wheels. Expect a difference in ride, the shorter the side wall the less your tire absorbs the energy from bumps. See what fits com will educate you on backspace and diameter anywhere from +42 to +50 is a very safe et for Golf chassis cars +35 is considered aggressive. Tire width will effect gas mileage the most. I dropped 4 mpg running 255/35/18 on my GTI lightly modded. Also weight of the wheel can effect gas mileage, which includes the tire. The bigger the wheel in the replica world typically means the heavier the wheel. So be careful what you buy and weigh your stock wheels or Google it, chances are if your doing it, somebody has already tried it and has weighed your stock wheels.

hope that answered your questions

banditti

Car(s)
MK7 TDI Golf
Are you buying the real wheels or replica? If it’s replica then you will need hubcentric rings. Note about hub rings, they are a wheel alignment tool that is left on the hub. They are a purely consumable item, metal ones are a waste and can easily get stuck. Get the hub size from the manufacture spec sheet and order some from your choice of retailer, often if you ask your retailer they will include them with the wheels. If you stick to the stick Golf R size the diameter should be very close to your stock wheels. Expect a difference in ride, the shorter the side wall the less your tire absorbs the energy from bumps. See what fits com will educate you on backspace and diameter anywhere from +42 to +50 is a very safe et for Golf chassis cars +35 is considered aggressive. Tire width will effect gas mileage the most. I dropped 4 mpg running 255/35/18 on my GTI lightly modded. Also weight of the wheel can effect gas mileage, which includes the tire. The bigger the wheel in the replica world typically means the heavier the wheel. So be careful what you buy and weigh your stock wheels or Google it, chances are if your doing it, somebody has already tried it and has weighed your stock wheels.

hope that answered your questions
Thank you. I am looking at OEM Audi rims. Maybe the 18x7.5 ET54 is the best balance between looks, ride and MPG for me.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Thank you. I am looking at OEM Audi rims. Maybe the 18x7.5 ET54 is the best balance between looks, ride and MPG for me.
You may need a spacer for the rear fuel filler neck - there's some talk about how large wheels can rub there, and a high ET would have a similar effect. Just a thought

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Snagged some 17x9 Rota Grids for a super cheap price - was going to get Superspeed RF06RRs (I can't afford TE37s lol) but these were about 800 bucks cheaper. Going to run 255/45r17 Conti Extremecontact Sports

Roonjeremy

Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI
Looking at 17x8.5 et 35 wheels with 225/45/17 tires on my stock ride height mk7. Any one have a similar fit with pictures? Does it run for you?