'19 GTI (LB9Z)
Rep stickers man.
CB027513-95E8-4848-8D90-48D5F3E6A179.jpeg

Happy?

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I've been thinking about an aggressive setup for next year. In my search I found this Jetta rocking G33 wheels 17x9 et15, tires 205/40, No pulling of fenders, rear camber arms and roll center kit on front, Bagged.

Aren't people pulling fenders on 18x9 et35? How is this et15 possible with no fender mods?

Is it cause of amount of tire stretch? It doesn't interfere with fender while it sits on top of wheel so no need to pull. 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211025-142046.jpg
    Screenshot_20211025-142046.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_20211025-142139.jpg
    Screenshot_20211025-142139.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot_20211025-142534.jpg
    Screenshot_20211025-142534.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 190

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes it’s the tires and camber, if you run normal tires it won’t clear at all.

Also these cars don’t gain anything really with pulling the fenders I did it on my rears… wasnt worth it all at. I also tried it on my stock front fenders and pulling doesn’t help since the real fitment issue is at the front of the fenders were it meets the bumper.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Can you explain this to me?
I can. There is tab-out where the screw grabs through both bumper and front fender, mating them together. This tab and screw setup negates against ones goal for getting fitment dialed in. And is royal pain in the arse might I add. Lately I have been considering a quick release setup and just pound the tab flat. That is the only spot I rub during maximum suspension travels.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I can. There is tab-out where the screw grabs through both bumper and front fender, mating them together. This tab and screw setup negates against ones goal for getting fitment dialed in. And is royal pain in the arse might I add. Lately I have been considering a quick release setup and just pound the tab flat. That is the only spot I rub during maximum suspension travels.
Yup, this is the explanation .

It’s even worse if you are on ride and still trying to get a Flush fitment, I’ve had to cut the tab and all the associated sections off completely and had to cut my front bumper edge to thin that section out as well.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
looking for some advice

im on Michelin pilot AS4 245/40/18 18x8.5 et 45 right now with absolutely no rubbing at all. i want to go wider and bigger but i dont want to modify the car or its ride height and have no plans to do so.

255/35/19 on 19x8.5 et 45 on stock height and suspension. can it work without rubbing? fender screw mod only necessary?

someone said I might need spacers in the back if I have a gti which I do. if I did need them, what should be enough? only want what's necessary... 3, 5, 10mm?

obviously i dont care about my speedometer being off.

I attached to this message a willtheyfit.com comparison of the stock OEM GTI wheel setup versus the proposed one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 12.53.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 12.53.46 PM.png
    692.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
looking for some advice

im on 245/40/18 18x8.5 et 45 right now with absolutely no rubbing at all. i want to go wider and bigger but i dont want to modify the car or its ride height and have no plans to do so.

255/35/19 on 19x8.5 et 45 on stock height and suspension. can it work without rubbing? fender screw mod only necessary?

someone said I might need spacers in the back if I have a gti which I do. 10mm should be enough?

obviously i dont care about my speedometer being off.

I attached to this message a willtheyfit.com comparison of the stock OEM GTI wheel setup versus the proposed one.
I think you will be ok at stock ride ride height.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Are you going to keep the same brand tires? While a 255/35/19 sizing is meant to me accurate measures many tire manufacture do have some variances in widths.

If you are going brand for brand and you are already perfectly fine and rub free running the taller 245s on the 18s, I don’t see how youll encounter issues - the overall height is only going up 8mm and the width will only be 10mm wider so sticking with the same width and offset on the wheels it’s only adding an extra 5mm per side, so unless your current tires/wheel setup is less or exactly at 5mm away from the gas filler neck you won’t need any spacer let alone 10s in the back… maybe a 3 or a 5 will be needed on the pass side worst case (it’s naturally offset from the factory - subframe is shifted from factory to clear filler neck) or you check your current tire to fender clearances with a caliper you’ll see it’s un even from left to right. Going 10s may give you a poke look that you may not like and could potentially cause you to rub on a very extreme bump on the outer fender.

Screw mod up front will be good enough up front depending on your current camber settings.

Also as @EpicTech mentioned staying stock height really keeps fitting wider tires in your favor.

And yeah I don’t know why people even bother to big deal the Speedo deal - it’s not like we are trucking and going from a 29” tire to a 36”. Those 255/35s are only going to be off 3mph at 80 and not even 4 at 100.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I will probably stick with the same tire to keep things going smoothly but my plan was before I made the purchase to compare my current tires specs with any other one I may have considered with the info charts off tire rack (I have Michelin AS4 and either I'd keep these or go with continental DWS 06+)... I haven't checked but if the continentals were smaller and it gave me a better chance at clearing plus they were less money I might have gone with those but well see when the time comes

speedo is definitely annoying if you're OCD about those things, but that could always be coded out later... but when you're driving 60 mph you're not looking at the speedo you're looking at the road just don't get pulled over then you can't tell the officer you knew you were doing under the limit :)

really good advice. thank you guys.