GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
I think OE lug bolts are 27mm long....Do I need to buy new longer Lug Bolts when I use 10mm
spacers (for example) 37mm long ??
Do I need to buy full sets of 20 or do bolts come in sets of 10 also
Looking for most attractive Bolts to use with Hyper Silver Wheels
What vendor, what brand of spacers and what thickness do they come in
and hub centric 57.1 mm???

OE lugs are ball seat. Aftermarket wheels are typically conical unless you go custom forged in which case you can specify.
So you'll need conical bolts regardless if they are long enough or not. You want a minimum of 5 threads engagement. Any less and you need longer bolts.
Most attractive bolts imho are titanium, you can get them raw or DLC black. Look at adaptec hubcentric spacers. Anything from 3mm and up in thickness.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
"I didn't say my setup was flush"

Miami Bourne, I understand that you never said Flush and I couldnt tell from your pics
how far OUT Rubber (sidewall) is from Flush.....
In my case I will wait until I mount my new 18x8.5 et45 (VMR710) & 235/40 Continental DWS
and make my own decisions on How They Look. You evidently didnt like your fitment without spacers.
Why didnt you order et35 to begin with or you didnt know until you installed wheels ???

I think OE lug bolts are 27mm long....Do I need to buy new longer Lug Bolts when I use 10mm

Thanks

Chuck S Auburn,WA

I went with this size wheel since I got a deal I couldn't pass up and these are just for my winter setup. That said I would probably look for an 8.5 - 9" wheel in the et45 range as a starting point and then add spacers as needed. It's just a preference. If I had et35 and it was too aggressive then I couldn't go back.

Yes, if you had spacers then you need to get bolts that are longer by the width of that spacer. Check out ECS Tuning and they have an assortment of different size lug bolts as well as spacers. You can order as many bolts as you need as they are sold as 'each' and not a set. ECS Tuning sells hub centric spacers but I'm not sure how they fit with all aftermarket wheels. My Neuspeeds and OEM Pretorias both fit the factory hub. I believe VMR does as well but I'm not 100% sure.

Good luck...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
OE lugs are ball seat. Aftermarket wheels are typically conical unless you go custom forged in which case you can specify.
So you'll need conical bolts regardless if they are long enough or not. You want a minimum of 5 threads engagement. Any less and you need longer bolts.
Most attractive bolts imho are titanium, you can get them raw or DLC black. Look at adaptec hubcentric spacers. Anything from 3mm and up in thickness.

Vmr are ball seat. So you can use oem bolts. Just confirm with VMR anyway.

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
When using misc thickness spacers....how accurate must the new bolt length be or
can they be somewhat longer ????.....
I believe OE bolts are 27mm so must new bolts be exactly the same amount longer as
the thickness of the spacer ????

Are you confused yet ???

Thanks

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Add whatever spacer thickness you buy to the length of the bolt required without the spacer.

For OEM wheels, 27mm is the stock length. 10mm spacers would use a 37mm (round to 40mm for most manufacturers), 15mm is a 42mm bolt, etc.

A few mm longer bolt is better than a few mm shorter bolt IMO. Our cars don't have components right behind the hub that could cause interference like some makes.

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
Thanks flipflp, Do you have suggestion(s) as to

1) What brand/style/finsh of bolt will Look the best with my new
Hyper Silver VMR Wheels
2) What Vendor ?? ECS Tuning ??
3) Where to shop for spacers ???

Chuck Auburn,WA

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Contact VMR and make sure you know what your wheels are going to use first. Most VMR wheels are designed to use the OEM bolts. If that's the case, then you'll need longer length R13 ball seat bolts if you're also going to run spacers. Looks are a personal thing, I'm only really concerned with function.

There are a ton of forum sponsor vendors to choose from, ECS is probably one of the largest.

If you're not comfortable or familiar with wheel/tire fitment, or just want to make sure all your questions are answered, work with a local shop like Achtuning or a Les Schwab store.

MK75Cal

hi guys! I am new to the VW family, and looking to get a set of wheel for my 2019 GTI, wanna to go with 18x8, my question is whats the perfect offset for 18x8 or 18x8.5 Thanks!

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
"I didn't say my setup was flush"

Miami Bourne, I understand that you never said Flush and I couldnt tell from your pics
how far OUT Rubber (sidewall) is from Flush.....
In my case I will wait until I mount my new 18x8.5 et45 (VMR710) & 235/40 Continental DWS
and make my own decisions on How They Look. You evidently didnt like your fitment without spacers.
Why didnt you order et35 to begin with or you didnt know until you installed wheels ???

Thanks

Chuck S Auburn,WA
Check with ECS Tuning, Shopdap.com, Moddedeuros.com and many others for spacers and the proper length lug bolts. They sell them as kits and separately. I run 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers with longer wheel bolts. The wheel bolt length increases by the width of the spacer as you mentioned. You need to do this to insure the correct thread connection to the hub and therefore torque.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Okay...so I'm not lowered, but ran into issues, so thought I'd post up:

18x8.5 with 245/40/18 (3SDM 0.06 ET42 and AS3+ tires)

While 3 wheels fit just fine, the passenger rear tire comes in contact with what looks like a plastic cover of an ABS wire (some sort of wire wrapped in an orange plastic wrap). You will need a minimum of a 10mm spacer to push the wheel out far enough to not rub (and I tested...it rubs on every revolution).

20200418_175149.jpg
20200418_174231_HDR.jpg
20200418_173541.jpg

EDIT.... UPDATE
Threw on 10mm spacers and it fixed the issue. Game on

IMG_0003(1).jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I'm looking at some 19x8.5 +32 BBS wheels for my GTI. It will be lowered on VWR or H&R springs. Am I going to need spacers for these to sit flush? Anyone know?
As a reference I am running 18x8 et45 with 15mm spacers in front and 20 mm in back with stock 225/40-18 tires and I am a little more out than flush, so I believe that the set up you mention will be very close if not flush especially if you plan to use larger cross section tires than stock. I would also be careful when lowering to be sure you do not rub with the 19s as others have mentioned.