GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

Azzab

Car(s)
Mk7 golf
Hi everyone.
This might seem a bit strange but I am looking to raise my mk7 about 2" with tiggy springs on stock shocks with a set of 19s on with the thickest wheels possible without rubbing for max comfort. I spotted a GTI rabbit online that sold for auction doing 235/60/18 on alltrack spring and suspension and was amazed how good it looked.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rJlPx1qz/2019-volkswagen-golf-gti-rabbit-edition

Wondering if 245/50/19 would be feasible?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Sooooo, my FK510 are nearing the end of life after running them for 8k miles front and 24k miles rear (never rotated, but have replaced fronts twice). Also ran 4 autox on them. No rubbing whatsoever.

FK510 265/35R18
Section width : 10.8
Tread width : 9.6
Diameter : 25.4

RS4 265/35R18
Section width : 11
Tread width : 9.8
Diameter : 25.1

Questions are

1) anyone run that size RS4 and any rubbing? Looking at the specs, they're not too far off what I'm currently running, but I know shape of the tire has some impact

Could go with 255, but they won't get here in time for track day on Saturday. I guess I could run the Falkens for their last hurrah, but don't know if they'll hold up. I guess this is question 1b. Should I just run the Falkens for track day?

2) how streetable is the RS4?

i guess this post is no longer about aggressive fitment.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Very streetable. I've run those tires on my last project and loved them on street and track.

Good to know.
Additionally,
I know most 200tw tires run wide now, but how did they compare to other similar sized tires you ran

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Slightly wider. Nothing insane though.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hi everyone.
This might seem a bit strange but I am looking to raise my mk7 about 2" with tiggy springs on stock shocks with a set of 19s on with the thickest wheels possible without rubbing for max comfort. I spotted a GTI rabbit online that sold for auction doing 235/60/18 on alltrack spring and suspension and was amazed how good it looked.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rJlPx1qz/2019-volkswagen-golf-gti-rabbit-edition

Wondering if 245/50/19 would be feasible?
I've actually spent quite a bit of time thinking about rally lifting my R so I might be able to take a shot at this. The tire size is just slightly smaller OD than the 235/60-18 on that Rabbit, offroady tires in a ~26" OD are tough to come by but a 225-245 width tire should be fine for clearance otherwise.

The biggest issue I see with raising the Golf is the rear trailing arm, without lengthening it (or possibly just running Tig arms) your rear wheel becomes really uncentered and could get close to the fender. You can see that on the Rabbit auction pics. You're also not going to have a good time with stock shocks, they would be really close to max extension and top out easily while driving. Tiguan shocks would be a better option, or what I was considering:

https://www.hrsprings.com/pr/detail/hr-street-performance-raising-coil-over-for-volkswagen-atlas1

Then it's just brake line lengths, sway bar links, and managing camber so you don't go positive up front. Every other week I want to do this.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Good to know.
Additionally,
I know most 200tw tires run wide now, but how did they compare to other similar sized tires you ran

I've run RS4 and SUR4G on street before, both fantastic. Not pointy end of the field for autocross or Time Trials, but great compromise if you're going to DD, autocross, and track on the same tire. I would definitely rotate every event.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Sooooo, my FK510 are nearing the end of life after running them for 8k miles front and 24k miles rear (never rotated, but have replaced fronts twice). Also ran 4 autox on them. No rubbing whatsoever.

FK510 265/35R18
Section width : 10.8
Tread width : 9.6
Diameter : 25.4

RS4 265/35R18
Section width : 11
Tread width : 9.8
Diameter : 25.1

Questions are

1) anyone run that size RS4 and any rubbing? Looking at the specs, they're not too far off what I'm currently running, but I know shape of the tire has some impact

Could go with 255, but they won't get here in time for track day on Saturday. I guess I could run the Falkens for their last hurrah, but don't know if they'll hold up. I guess this is question 1b. Should I just run the Falkens for track day?

2) how streetable is the RS4?

i guess this post is no longer about aggressive fitment.

Slightly wider. Nothing insane though.

I've run RS4 and SUR4G on street before, both fantastic. Not pointy end of the field for autocross or Time Trials, but great compromise if you're going to DD, autocross, and track on the same tire. I would definitely rotate every event.
Found a Hankook Motorsports warehouse here. Emailed them and they said to stop by to measure.
Measured at the widest point, my 265 FK510's are actually 10" wide. The RS4's were about 10.75". Granted mine are mounted and those weren't, but don't think it would make a huge difference. Didn't want to risk it, so just gonna wait for some 255s. Unfortunately they didn't have any in that size.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I wish I went 265 on my setup. 9" wheels need Them. I'd like to have more rim protection than I have now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I wish I went 265 on my setup. 9" wheels need Them. I'd like to have more rim protection than I have now.

My 255 RE71Rs fit square on my 8.5 wheels. No rim protection there. I should have gotten 255 RT660s. They're fat. Curbed first wheel I've curbed ever in 35 years driving. Made me cry.

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
For those running 18x9 ET45, is it possible to run this tires with just the static camber plates like the Whiteline or Superpro, or even the insert from Euro Sport? I am looking at some wheels mostly between 18x9 ET 45-52 right now. I am installing the H&R OE Sport springs, so the drop will be minimal. My intent is to use 255/35/18, the car is a DD and the goal is to run EQT stage 2 as soon as I can get to build the exhaust, and possibly an IS38 swap in the future so I am looking at the most thread width I can accommodate in the car as possible.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
For those running 18x9 ET45, is it possible to run this tires with just the static camber plates like the Whiteline or Superpro, or even the insert from Euro Sport? I am looking at some wheels mostly between 18x9 ET 45-52 right now. I am installing the H&R OE Sport springs, so the drop will be minimal. My intent is to use 255/35/18, the car is a DD and the goal is to run EQT stage 2 as soon as I can get to build the exhaust, and possibly an IS38 swap in the future so I am looking at the most thread width I can accommodate in the car as possible.

Depends on the tire. If it's a regular summer tire, maybe. If it's a 200tw tire, no, especially since those springs have been known to drop about an inch. At 1 inch drop, I rubbed, but with 265's. So you might be fine with 255.