GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Rear is a 245/45. Rubs the fender liner top-center if I carry passengers in the rear or heavy dips in the road.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Rear is a 245/45. Rubs the fender liner top-center if I carry passengers in the rear or heavy dips in the road.
That's a tall tire! 1" taller than the 40. I was going to suggest a 3mm spacer if you have space in the front, but I am not sure if that would help your situation because of where the tire is rubbing.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
That's a tall tire! 1" taller than the 40. I was going to suggest a 3mm spacer if you have space in the front, but I am not sure if that would help your situation because of where the tire is rubbing.
Yea I went taller looking for a somewhat more cushioned ride. Road imperfections make the 40 sidewall just hit too hard and man is it loud. I want to do the same in the front but I got to get the coils raised up first so they will fit. Just having them in the rear is night/day difference.

ryandm1984

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI MKV
I wasnt really looking at the neg camber, I saw wheel specs and immediately thought wtf. I already know it doesnt fit UNLESS you have a good bit of neg camber going on. Like you said and I agree, this is not ideal as you decrease the contact patch. I know my car is using all of the 235 width I have afforded it, and that ho still breaks loose if I hammer it. I said elsewhere but with my 18x8.5 +45 Rays wheels, they are rubbing a lot in the rear because I went with a taller sidewall. Was going to do the same in the front but they dont fit. When the car returns from the shop I intend to raise the coilovers about an inch, add in Koni Special Actives in the rear, and then see what everything looks like. Yes I know lower car is cooler, but I want to get away from bust-the-oil pan- on shitty roads phobia.
Yes it has an aggressive camber, like I said in my original post when I had the 18x9.5F & 10R, it’s just a show car and I wouldn’t recommend this set up as a daily or for anything practical. I did get tired of the heavy stretched so wanted a meatier tire. I do have the IS38 turbo and tune also and it is fun to drive, but if you want true sport, the max I’d go would be 8.5” wide wheels et35 with a solid coil over setup. I have the Airlift 3P system, it’s just a build/show car and I’ve had a blast with this car. This is my 3rd GTI, my last one was more “track” built, so I went a different route on my MK7. Hate it or love it, I’ve modded to things I like, whether show, function, or both.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Looking for some info on a wide 245/45/17 RT660. These aren't a daily wheel/tire, it will be used for autoX/HPDE and the occasional spirited drive in the Ozarks.

Tires measure a full 10 inches wide (9.5" tread width) on a 17x9 +42

They were very close (at a ride height, 10-12 mm lower than stock) to the filler neck at -2.5 camber when I originally installed my coilovers last week. I didn't cycle the suspension to verify it would hit, but I assumed it would.
I had an alignment done and had the tech set the rear to -1.3 to give me some more room at the filler neck, but now I obviously gave myself less room at the fender and it pokes due to the wide meats.

Anyone run this tire in that same size? I don't mind running -2.0 camber in the rear, but I'd prefer not to run much more than that to help the car rotate a little better. I plan to try and slide the fuel tank and see if that butts the fuel filler neck up against the "frame" rail a little more snug. If it doesn't fit after doing those changes, I guess I'll do the walk of shame back to Discount tire to have them swapped out for a less meaty fitment.

Pic of how it looks at -1.3
432403403_10230034249656816_6199359146929994786_n.jpg

Just a pic for reference to show ride height with my daily wheels/tires.
420359129_10230034620746093_4500085656849129211_n.jpg

Last edited: