GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket "wireless" CarPlay

Vorne Au hinten Weh

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the CPLAY2AIR unit which is likely very similar to the one mentioned above. Initially it had a rather poor sound performance. In the car, with the adapter active and wireless Carplay working, I looked on theniPhone for the WiFi ID and the phone settings for it. Turns out the iPhone had set this specific WiFi to "low quality", trying to save battery power I think. So I selected "hi quality" and all the audio problems went away. I have the phone on a 10W charge pad while driving, which supplies more than enough power for ongoing map and music use.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
I’ve tested both CPLAY2air and Z6-Plus.
First one just works, connects without any issues, once configured no problems with audio quality.
Seconds one have more features (like video playback from USB drive and AirPlay mirroring) but needs a reboot to switch between CarPlay and other stuff.

also tested AI Box which is a stand-alone Android device working independently from the phone and just pretends to be an iPhone so the car will let it use the display, speakers and touch input. Lots of cool options over there but it will not let you use CarPlay (Wired or Wireless) - you are using it instead of your phone.

wario406

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I have the Garlin and have zero issues connecting or operating it with my iPhone- only issue so far is it’s slow to switch between songs.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Second the Carlink 2.0 adapter. It's not perfect but it works great, especially for shorter trips. There's a very long forum post on MacRumors chronically its saga, but the verdict is it seems to work great with VWs: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/

I personally would recommend upgrading the firmware to the custom one this guy did up for the adapter; same as stock but removes some extraneous logging and processor limitations that improves performance. Also the "autokit" UI is red and matches our interiors really well: https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireles...ster/Custom_Firmware/2021.03.06_BASED/AUTOKIT