GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket "wireless" CarPlay

wario406

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I've got a 2021GTI with the factory head unit. It has "wired" CarPlay, but Im seeing lots of adaptors coming out now that say they plug into CarPlay units and make them wireless.

Does anyone have any input, experience, or recommendations?

Thanks-

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I have one and I can definitely recommend it. It’s so awesome to just get in the car and boom, Waze shows up on the screen automatically (for example). If you don’t mind waiting a couple weeks, I would order it off AliExpress, that’s what I did. Only $90 on there vs like 150 on other sites, and it’s the exact same thing.

It does have about a second of audio lag when you are playing music, that’s the only issue it really has. But it’s worth it to me to have wireless CarPlay.

wario406

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I have one and I can definitely recommend it. It’s so awesome to just get in the car and boom, Waze shows up on the screen automatically (for example). If you don’t mind waiting a couple weeks, I would order it off AliExpress, that’s what I did. Only $90 on there vs like 150 on other sites, and it’s the exact same thing.

It does have about a second of audio lag when you are playing music, that’s the only issue it really has. But it’s worth it to me to have wireless CarPlay.
Thanks! Which brand/model do you have?

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I was looking at these as well but the D-Dock works so well. It’s so easy to slide it in and go
I definitely appreciate the D-Dock but the problem for me is I want to pull out my phone sometimes to look up a song for example. I think that would get annoying with the dock.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

What do you mean by “audio lag when you are playing music”? What is the audio lagging in comparison to?

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
What do you mean by “audio lag when you are playing music”? What is the audio lagging in comparison to?
It lags like, when you want to skip to the next track or pause the song, it takes a second between when you press pause and when the music stops.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I will say, I tried the "official" wireless version of Android Auto on a friend's X5M C and it, in a word, sucked. I can't vouch for CarPlay, but the lag from my phone playing music was garbage. Audio dropping out constantly, lower quality, a mess.

Do you guys with the wireless kits have the same issues?
Dang.. you’d think the official version would actually work well 💀.

I can say it hasn’t been that bad for me with CarPlay. I don’t think it sounds any better or worse than Bluetooth. With this adapter, you can adjust a timeout in its settings to balance lag vs. choppiness. I don’t really get how it works.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

I can say it hasn’t been that bad for me with CarPlay. I don’t think it sounds any better or worse than Bluetooth. With this adapter, you can adjust a timeout in its settings to balance lag vs. choppiness. I don’t really get how it works.
Wait what where's that setting?

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i

Ohh I see. That's kind of cool actually.

I mean, I don't know if it was Tidal on my phone or the car or what but it skipped lagging and went for straight up signal interference-type shenanigans. It was rough.

If y'all are having good results with the adapters I might look into that though. I would kill for wireless if it worked the right way.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Wait what where's that setting?
So when you’re connected to it with your phone, go to where you can check for updates (open Safari, go to 192.168.50.2). Then... next to the check for update button there should be a gray circle, it may or may not have a gear icon in it. Press that and you will have your settings 🙂

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So when you’re connected to it with your phone, go to where you can check for updates (open Safari, go to 192.168.50.2). Then... next to the check for update button there should be a gray circle, it may or may not have a gear icon in it. In there you will have your settings 🙂
Must be a new addition! I'll have a look at some point.

Thanks!