GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Turbo Options

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
If I were trying to be competitive for relatively cheap, I'd go with a garrett powermax g25-660 or the APR EFR7163 kit modified to work with an EWG. But your turbo selection would depend on the torque curve you need for your local tracks.

More practically, may depend on your classing and what your preferred tuner is willing to support. A custom fabbed garrett kit that you can swap compressors on might be ideal, but finding a tuner that will support an external boost controller might be challenging.
No issues with regs. Can run any turbo and power level I want. g25-660 is looking like the way at this stage. Not sure I want to mess around with the EFR kit or not run an elec waste-gate. I did spot this I think in this thread. Bolt on G30 running the gen 2 gtx core. Costs a little more than the G25 but still cheaper than the TTV5 and easier to obtain.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
No issues with regs. Can run any turbo and power level I want. g25-660 is looking like the way at this stage. Not sure I want to mess around with the EFR kit or not run an elec waste-gate. I did spot this I think in this thread. Bolt on G30 running the gen 2 gtx core. Costs a little more than the G25 but still cheaper than the TTV5 and easier to obtain.
At least here in the states the g25-660 looks like the way to go to me. Pretty comfortable within the limits of the stock fuel lines, intake manifold, etc. The gtx3076 is outdated compared to a g30-770 but not sure if there are any good kits available in AU. TPC770 looks pretty attractive for that kinda power.

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
I'll put in my vote for the TPC38 ball bearing with performance housing upgrade. Costs far less than a G25-660 and has more potential. It also uses the factory lines. so it would be considered a "bolt-on" solution.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
I'll put in my vote for the TPC38 ball bearing with performance housing upgrade. Costs far less than a G25-660 and has more potential. It also uses the factory lines. so it would be considered a "bolt-on" solution.
My brain has been toying with the idea of adding a BB turbo to my '16 R, mostly for better spool (I kinda miss that immediate rush of power on a stage 1 IS20 GTI). I'm not looking for a ton of power, just quicker spool for more fun street driving. I'd be perfectly happy with 350whp or even less, as long as it spooled quick.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My IS38 spools by ~2900rpm, about 500rpm faster than the Vortex did. Have to agree, I don't think a hybrid will spool faster than that.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
I own the littco l340x recently, it is a good turbo for those who want the is20 coil with more on top.
this is less powerful than an is38 oem
on the other hand it will be more reliable (balancing and reinforced bearings) but above all it will be like a super is20
I have not yet made a passage to the benches.
here are 2 passages to the benches of the l340x by users
the first test bench is on stock vehicle + l340x (remap stage1)
on the 2nd dyno stage 2 + l 340x

So it looks like you're getting 300 lb/ft by around 2200-2300 rpm? up to 360 ish, by 2750 or so. Looks like a lot of fun, especially on an AWD car.