GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Remote Oil Thermostats

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I've got two projects on the horizon prior to the start of the 2018 Track season. First, increase the the capacity and efficiency of engine oil cooling and secondly, to do the same for the DSG fluid cooling.

For the engine oil, I've narrowed my search to several different makes on a thermostat that fully opens at or around 180-185 degrees Fahrenheit. 180 degrees oil temp appears to be the recommended norm operating temp but let me know if you disagree.

As for the DSG fluid operating temp, I can't seem to find a reliable source that speaks on the subject. I have several choices on when a remote thermostat opens (ie. 145F, 165F, 185F, 215F, etc.) so I need to find a solution that allows the fluid to warm up to the ideal operating temp just prior to opening. Anyone know what the ideal operating temp is for the DSG fluid?

www.summitracing.com/search/part-ty...cending&tw=Oil ther&sw=Remote Oil Thermostats

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Try giving HPA Motorsports a call. http://www.hpamotorsports.com/index.html#

They built 2 cars for VW for SEMA, and were involved with VW engineering in building/modifying/ programming DSG transmissions for those cars. They have inside contacts at VW, and know a lot about DSG progamming.

I'm sure they will have the info you need. Check out their HPA 740 HP Golf R.
https://youtu.be/DnR6FBRC0F4

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Has your R run hot on the track? I'd be more concerned about oil starvation, perhaps an accumulator?
I'm seeing oil temps at or above 275F at the end of a 20 min session. Haven't considered an accumulator on the EA888.3 engine. I know the generation 1's and even the generation 2's to a lesser extent were susceptible to oil starvation.

SRoads

Ready to race!
I'm seeing oil temps at or above 275F at the end of a 20 min session. Haven't considered an accumulator on the EA888.3 engine. I know the generation 1's and even the generation 2's to a lesser extent were susceptible to oil starvation.

What have your pressures been like at 275f. What oil are you running?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I think a cooler for both is a great idea on a track car, I'd like to see a build thread on it.

Figuring out mounting and plumbing will be the fun part, maybe in the outer bumper ducts (opened up of course) like the R. Or retrofit some from the R

Edit: doesn't the R have coolers stock? Could just upgrade the heat exchangers themselves

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think a cooler for both is a great idea on a track car, I'd like to see a build thread on it.

Figuring out mounting and plumbing will be the fun part, maybe in the outer bumper ducts (opened up of course) like the R. Or retrofit some from the R

Edit: doesn't the R have coolers stock? Could just upgrade the heat exchangers themselves

I believe there's an oil cooler on the engine on both the R and the GTI. Can't remember if they're air or coolant exchangers. The aux. radiators are just coolant radiators. I don't know we need them.

I'm thinking the oil is getting thrown around and you're getting air in the system. Where's the oil temp sensor located?

USA

Ready to race!
I've got two projects on the horizon prior to the start of the 2018 Track season. First, increase the the capacity and efficiency of engine oil cooling and secondly, to do the same for the DSG fluid cooling.

For the engine oil, I've narrowed my search to several different makes on a thermostat that fully opens at or around 180-185 degrees Fahrenheit. 180 degrees oil temp appears to be the recommended norm operating temp but let me know if you disagree.

As for the DSG fluid operating temp, I can't seem to find a reliable source that speaks on the subject. I have several choices on when a remote thermostat opens (ie. 145F, 165F, 185F, 215F, etc.) so I need to find a solution that allows the fluid to warm up to the ideal operating temp just prior to opening. Anyone know what the ideal operating temp is for the DSG fluid?

www.summitracing.com/search/part-ty...cending&tw=Oil ther&sw=Remote Oil Thermostats

Thank you for starting this thread. What temp does the stock thermostat open at?

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Sub'd.....