GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Lower Control Arms (Kyostar) -Information Needed!

NOLAGTI95

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Hello, first time making a post on here, I am excited too join the GTI brotherhood.

I recently purchased a set of Kyostar Lower Control Arms for my 2015 MK7 GTI. I also got a good deal on a used aluminum Audi s3 subframe (which will fit the GTI). I would like to install these related parts together soon.

However, I canot find any information about these Kyostar parts. I have purchased this brand before, and I have found it to be a decent replica of a much more expensive aftermarket part (I currently have Kyostar aluminum charge pipes and turbo muffler delete, both parts excellent for the price) which is why I did not spend the $500+ on the SuperPro brand (perhaps I should have, given the importance of this part in the car’s handling geometry and feel?).

Anyway, I would really appreciate any information you all may have on these control arms. They look very similar to the super pro and white line parts (perhaps a direct replica of the white line parts?). From what I understand, those parts add/reduce camber and or caster, and require an alignment after installation. Also, the super pro requires lubrication to be installed on the poly bearing, and no such lubrication came with my parts.

I have included pictures, thanks!

Attachments

• 91617E82-B0A9-4E2C-A547-D0B15BB6D862.png
    91617E82-B0A9-4E2C-A547-D0B15BB6D862.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 266
  • EA182088-046D-4FB1-A561-1800E0770708.png
    EA182088-046D-4FB1-A561-1800E0770708.png
    4 MB · Views: 338
  • A36E8FAE-9301-43AA-B9F3-FB374DE113F1.png
    A36E8FAE-9301-43AA-B9F3-FB374DE113F1.png
    3 MB · Views: 232
  • 3501E307-27DC-4162-BC7F-08E87D9BD9C5.png
    3501E307-27DC-4162-BC7F-08E87D9BD9C5.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 251

mattkosem

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'24 GTI
That's a heck of a price, particularly since they even include new ball joints! Let us know how they go.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
They're TTRS/TT arms not Superpro/Whiteline. Some dude was advertising them on one of the FB groups before getting banned and he told me TTRS. There's a thread about TT arms somewhere on this forum and the increased camber it gives.

87399667_662359414568409_3656196747304108032_n.jpg

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Scary cheap, and I mean that in the worst way.

If they are just replica TTRS arms with some type of poly bushings in them, aside from longevity and fitment concerns, they are still going to tweak your camber (hence the need for adjustable ball joints) and you will need an alignment. You'll also definitely want bushing grease (not just random grease since some will degrade poly/rubber in time).

Good luck!

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I have the TTRS arms. If these are replicas then:

a. your stock ball joints won't fit because the bolt pattern is different
b. the ttrs arm is shorter than the mk7 arm but the ball joint is much longer than and larger than the stock mk7 ball joint.
c. Together, TTRS arm plus ball joint is about a 1/2 longer than mk7 arm plus mk7 ball joint
d. the TTRS ball joint is rotated slightly forward compared to the mk7, giving it a touch more caster.

I get the concern that 'these are cheap --- will the quality suck?'

on the other hand, I bought a stamped steel arm with ball joint made by a well known oem supplier at rockauto for $45. So, relative price is not necessarily an indicator of quality

NOLAGTI95

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Hey guys, I ended up installing both lower control arms today. After easily removing the passenger side original control arm, I compared It to the new control arms I purchased. They are a direct replica, as far as overall sizing and dimensions, as well as the bolt hole locations. Some posts above mentioned that these control arms were likely intended for a TTRS and would not be a direct replacement fit, but I can confirm, they appear to be a 100% perfect match dimension-wise.

Something I forgot to include in my original post, these control arms come with new ball joints. The three ball joint holes in the lower control arm appeared to be in ever-s–slightly different locations (no more than 1/4 inch each hole, respective to the original holes) but that was no matter since I was installing the new ball joints. Note: I was unable to remove the old ball joint, so I ran to Autozone and was given a (free rental) set of “Pickle Forks” that I was able to wedge into the ball joint and pry out with some taps from my small maul.

As you may know, the driver’s side control arm is much more difficult to take out, as one bolt cannot be backed out without it hitting the transmission/ plastic (oil pan?) assembly. I loosened all four main bolts holding the subframe as well as (completely) unbolted the dog collar mount bolt that goes into the transmission case, and had a friend wedge the subframe down with a crowbar while I slipped the bolt out, all while having a jack-stand under the subframe in case the frame decided to fall out completely.

Next, I installed the new lower control arms. Both the passenger and driver side lower control arms slipped into place easily and quickly with the help of some WD-40 and some light maul-and-2x4-block taps. Everything lined up correctly, and the new ball joint three-studs fit into their related (three) holes at the end of the control arm, perfectly.

I wanted to say thanks to you guys for the information, and I will update with pictures and driving impressions soon.

Also, I snagged an aluminum subframe assembly from a MQB era Audi s3 with sway bar and steering rack attached, for only $300 total shipped from the UK (No idea how the seller made a profit considering the likely huge shipping cost he incurred). I plan on installing this aluminum subframe soon (as well as selling the steering rack and sway bar that came with the assembly), and along with the recently installed aluminum control arms, will give me a completely upgraded aluminum control arm + subframe assembly that the a3/a4 and GTI Clubsports have. I am mainly doing this for the perceived handling and NVH benefits, but the 10 or so lbs weight savings is also welcome.