GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket DSG Knob?

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I do not have the BFI DSG knob. I bought a Momo knob and made my own adapter. While the entire setup is not rock solid, it has minimal axial as well as radial play, does not rattle, and feels as natural as a manual knob would. I came to like the lifting motion better than using a trigger. And I drive in the manual mode 100% of the time, so I interact with the knob all the time. No regrets, I hated the weirdly shaped stock knob and the feel of the bulky trigger.

Yo can you share a little on how you made your own adaptor?
I kinda want to try to fit my Boomba 6MT knob :rolleyes:

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Euro Impulse has one, although you have to watch for when they're in stock. I e-mailed them a month or so ago and they said some more would be ready in 1-2 weeks but that they tend to sell out quick. Price isn't bad.

https://euroimpulse.com/collections...euro-impulse-logo-black?variant=3489189101591

Personally I'd like a SportShifter one. Bit pricey, but fair amount of customization and a full shifter/boot/frame package. Unfortunately at the moment they're working on a standalone DSG knob only, not available yet. He said they might do the full kit for DSGs at a future time but nothing is planned for now.

https://www.sportshifters.com/golf-mk7-gti-r-5g-2012-present.html

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yo can you share a little on how you made your own adaptor?
I kinda want to try to fit my Boomba 6MT knob :rolleyes:
I used PVC tubing.
Took the stock shifter off, measured the shift lever shaft diameter to know what diameter tubing to buy. The tubing I got was a little narrower, so I drilled it out a little (that was the most time consuming part). Then I arranged the tube, which I cut to the approximate length I would need, with the knob on it and put it on the lever shaft so I could mark the locations for the knob retaining screws. Then made the holes in the tube for the said screws. Also made a hole for the trigger pin (I half assed this part a bit). That's about it. I also made the knob retaining screws serve a dual purpose -- fix the knob on the tube and use the screws as guides on the shaft grooves so that the tube-knob assembly wouldn't rotate on the shaft. I used the stock boot without any modifications -- the top plastic ring fits very snugly around the PVC tube.

If it sounds complicated, trust me -- it's not. It was a fun little project and I'm super happy with the result. The total cost came out to about $40, with the knob being the most expensive part.
There's minimal play in the entire assembly, I bet no more than in BFI knobs. It doesn't rattle (the adaptor is nice and snug on the shaft, but with enough clearance for easy pull ups), and I drive over crappy roads around here, the whole car rattles.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I used PVC tubing.
Took the stock shifter off, measured the shift lever shaft diameter to know what diameter tubing to buy. The tubing I got was a little narrower, so I drilled it out a little (that was the most time consuming part). Then I arranged the tube, which I cut to the approximate length I would need, with the knob on it and put it on the lever shaft so I could mark the locations for the knob retaining screws. Then made the holes in the tube for the said screws. Also made a hole for the trigger pin (I half assed this part a bit). That's about it. I also made the knob retaining screws serve a dual purpose -- fix the knob on the tube and use the screws as guides on the shaft grooves so that the tube-knob assembly wouldn't rotate on the shaft. I used the stock boot without any modifications -- the top plastic ring fits very snugly around the PVC tube.

If it sounds complicated, trust me -- it's not. It was a fun little project and I'm super happy with the result. The total cost came out to about $40, with the knob being the most expensive part.
There's minimal play in the entire assembly, I bet no more than in BFI knobs. It doesn't rattle (the adaptor is nice and snug on the shaft, but with enough clearance for easy pull ups), and I drive over crappy roads around here, the whole car rattles.

That sounds pretty difficult haha... Looks like raceseng is getting closer.

I'm excited to see what they come up with.

pSyCO_007

Ready to race!
Y’all think this would fit the gti ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pSyCO_007

Ready to race!
It is for the MK6.. but besides the club sport shifter and the BFI one there isn’t many choices for us DSG guys.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
In case you guys missed this. Can replace the shifter cap with a more Clubsport looking one. Credit to @ReadTheBook for a solid write up.

DSG Shifter Cap Replacements - OEM+ look for cheap
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=52464&share_type=t

Someone else (I think@HBird) also posted in another thread about replacing the entire boot / shifter assembly with an OEM Clubsport one. About $230 though...

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
In case you guys missed this. Can replace the shifter cap with a more Clubsport looking one. Credit to @ReadTheBook for a solid write up.

DSG Shifter Cap Replacements - OEM+ look for cheap
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=112413&share_tid=52464&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egolfmk7%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D52464&share_type=t

Someone else (I think@HBird) also posted in another thread about replacing the entire boot / shifter assembly with an OEM Clubsport one. About $230 though...

Looks about the same to me! Thanks for sharing tho -

I think I'm gonna bank on Raceseng for now. They've been sharing some stuff on IG. Hopefully see production by June/July..

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Y’all think this would fit the gti ?

The shifter itself will fit. You have to remove it from the mk6 shifter trim/boot, but the mechanisms are the same for the 6 and 7, technically the mk5 too but you have to be mindful there was a time where mk5 had sidepull switches (same mechanism, rotated 90 degrees). Source: I modded my side pull mk5 dsg back in 2013 to take mk6 dsg knobs.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Why not look into Euroimpulses dsg knobs?... i had a bfi knob on my Mk6 Gti it was alright nothing to brag about. Would I buy a bfi dsg knob again... answer is No.

Farfignoogin

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Leyo Motorsports for the win 😁 Fantastic products and an awesome DSG knob
i was going to recommend Leyo also, just recently picked up they're clear paddle shifters, very happy with the quality.

Attachments

• 20200725_093746.jpg
    20200725_093746.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 132

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
wheel.jpg