GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket DSG Knob?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I've read some negative reviews about their DSG knobs and want to see what else is out there. They seem to be little overpriced too.

If they are my only choice, I would probably eventually get a BFI.

You tend to read more negative reviews than positive for any product. People love to complain. We’ve literally sold thousand of shift knobs and they are of the upmost quality you will find for your car. There are other knobs that are similar in price as ours and I would say ours are on top without a doubt.

I also owned BFI products well before I started working for the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
You tend to read more negative reviews than positive for any product. People love to complain. We’ve literally sold thousand of shift knobs and they are of the upmost quality you will find for your car. There are other knobs that are similar in price as ours and I would say ours are on top without a doubt.

I also owned BFI products well before I started working for the company.

That's fair. As you can see in my OP - I was looking for positive reviews from DSG BFI owners that can attest to the experience. From what I've read, BFI MT knobs are solid but the DSG knobs do not stay tight overtime and the "lift to shift" experience is less than desirable. Do you have experience yourself with the DSG adaptor knobs? I would love to be told these reviews are dead wrong from someone who has used one daily. I know BFI is a solid company, just not sure about this specific product.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
That's fair. As you can see in my OP - I was looking for positive reviews from DSG BFI owners that can attest to the experience. From what I've read, BFI MT knobs are solid but the DSG knobs do not stay tight overtime and the "lift to shift" experience is less than desirable. Do you have experience yourself with the DSG adaptor knobs? I would love to be told these reviews are dead wrong from someone who has used one daily. I know BFI is a solid company, just not sure about this specific product.
I do not have the BFI DSG knob. I bought a Momo knob and made my own adapter. While the entire setup is not rock solid, it has minimal axial as well as radial play, does not rattle, and feels as natural as a manual knob would. I came to like the lifting motion better than using a trigger. And I drive in the manual mode 100% of the time, so I interact with the knob all the time. No regrets, I hated the weirdly shaped stock knob and the feel of the bulky trigger.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I do not have the BFI DSG knob. I bought a Momo knob and made my own adapter. While the entire setup is not rock solid, it has minimal axial as well as radial play, does not rattle, and feels as natural as a manual knob would. I came to like the lifting motion better than using a trigger. And I drive in the manual mode 100% of the time, so I interact with the knob all the time. No regrets, I hated the weirdly shaped stock knob and the feel of the bulky trigger.

Wait, you drive in manual mode and use the shifter, rather than the paddles, to do it?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I recommend some aftermarket paddles!
Just installed S2T B1's and they're amazing.

Oh i already got some off of ebay. They are actually quite good (it would suck if they were crap for the $70 i paid for them). Will see how it goes. I'll try to use Sandman's method: i'll force myself to use the paddles to get accustomed to using them on a daily basis.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Oh i already got some off of ebay. They are actually quite good (it would suck if they were crap for the $70 i paid for them). Will see how it goes. I'll try to use Sandman's method: i'll force myself to use the paddles to get accustomed to using them on a daily basis.

If you find they're a bit of a reach, lower and extend your steering wheel - while still obeying the wrist reach rule if possible.
The only time I'm not using my paddles is when I'm in reverse!

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I love my BFI, pulling up is actually pretty natural.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

vw671

Autocross Newbie
VW671's post is one of the exact reasons I hated my BFI DSG knob. They market them specifically for VWs and Audi's, but they don't make the knob fit any OEM shift boots. You have to bunch the boot up and it looks/feels terrible. Couple that with the fact regardless of what loctite or how tight you got the set screws were the knob would come loose after some use.

Hopefully the raceseng is better!

Partially agree with the shift boot, but don't really see a way around this. It does not really bother me at all. I've had the shift knob installed for about 3 years now. Never had to readjust it in any way and never came loose.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
VW671's post is one of the exact reasons I hated my BFI DSG knob. They market them specifically for VWs and Audi's, but they don't make the knob fit any OEM shift boots. You have to bunch the boot up and it looks/feels terrible. Couple that with the fact regardless of what loctite or how tight you got the set screws were the knob would come loose after some use.

Hopefully the raceseng is better!

Agreed! I loved my Boomba it was much wider at the base and didn't have this issue whatsoever.

Partially agree with the shift boot, but don't really see a way around this. It does not really bother me at all. I've had the shift knob installed for about 3 years now. Never had to readjust it in any way and never came loose.

The manufacturer could make the base of the knob wider for a better fit on VWs.
The bunched up boot is exactly why I didn't really consider BFI for my 6MT knob...

Last edited: