GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Afs error

Commandercool90

Car(s)
'16 GTI SE PP & LP
Hey all, I have a 2016 gti se, with lighting and package, bought the car a few months ago and I love it. However, a few days ago i got an AFS error. Had my cousin take a look at it and he was not able to recalibrate the lights via one as the car kept kicking him out due to the error code. Now upon start up the headlights do this "Dance".

Up and down then side to side, it does the up and down but not side to side. The passenger side projector is stuck facing inward. It sort of twitches when trying to do the side to side dance. We assume that headlight is the problem. Now, would it be feasible to just replace the motor that controls the projector lens or is it possibly a bad leveling sensor underneath the car? We checked those and theyre intact. I've attached a picture of the projector lens stuck inward. Fyi the wheels are straight.

Attachments

• 20201017_155411.jpg
    20201017_155411.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 155

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You should only have one level sensor under the car to control both lights unless you have DCC I believe.

Sounds like a bad ballast or motor on the headlight. The motor is listed as able to be bought separately, but I've read with earlier MK7s it's a part of the whole assembly and cant be replaced separately.

What code did you get?

Commandercool90

Car(s)
'16 GTI SE PP & LP
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my car is equipped with the dcc. So there's two under the front of the car and one in the rear. I did see the motor itself is available for sale. Though not too sure if that can be replaced. As for the code I will have to get that from him. It's just a bit frustrating to get this error randomly.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Have you tried playing with the vertical/horizontal adjustment screws? Maybe they’re jammed. It kinda reminds me of a time when I adjusted a MB headlight past it’s limit.

I’m betting it’s somehow related to the gear that rotates the projector horizontally.

Also, if you are going to attempt to fix the headlight with new parts. Make sure you verify whether you have a Valeo or a Hella unit.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You can try swapping the headlight modules between the two lights and see if the issues follows a module. Would need a code to try to pinpoint something else, as it could be a few things.

Commandercool90

Car(s)
'16 GTI SE PP & LP
Have you tried playing with the vertical/horizontal adjustment screws? Maybe they’re jammed. It kinda reminds me of a time when I adjusted a MB headlight past it’s limit.

I’m betting it’s somehow related to the gear that rotates the projector horizontally.

Also, if you are going to attempt to fix the headlight with new parts. Make sure you verify whether you have a Valeo or a Hella unit.
I have not played with the adjustment screws yet. I've read stories of people doing that and screwing things up even more lol. I'm going to verify what module it is exactly.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I have not played with the adjustment screws yet. I've read stories of people doing that and screwing things up even more lol. I'm going to verify what module it is exactly.

I’m willing to bet it’s the problem. Sometimes when my car does the “dance” at startup my drivers side will point down and won’t come back up unless I cycle the ignition. You said it “twitches” so it sounds like the cheap little plastic gears are binding. If you remove the headlight you’ll be able to see the gears that the motor moves.

Last edited:

Mdanish4

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Hey all, I have a 2016 gti se, with lighting and package, bought the car a few months ago and I love it. However, a few days ago i got an AFS error. Had my cousin take a look at it and he was not able to recalibrate the lights via one as the car kept kicking him out due to the error code. Now upon start up the headlights do this "Dance".

Up and down then side to side, it does the up and down but not side to side. The passenger side projector is stuck facing inward. It sort of twitches when trying to do the side to side dance. We assume that headlight is the problem. Now, would it be feasible to just replace the motor that controls the projector lens or is it possibly a bad leveling sensor underneath the car? We checked those and theyre intact. I've attached a picture of the projector lens stuck inward. Fyi the wheels are straight.
We're you able to fix the issue?