GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aerofabb spoiler extension

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Has anyone used a car cover with the Aerofabb wing? I used the one I already have and it ended up pulling the wing down. The 3M tape was starting to separate. Any suggestions or workarounds so that the wing does not get pulled down by the car cover? Sometimes I have to park outside and like to use the car cover when the car is clean.
Ironic you bring this up....I just ordered a car cover and thought about it last night

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
might sound dumb, but maybe cut a slit for the wing and let it be out so it doesn't get pulled
Not only would the slit would need to be reinforced, but it would allow dirt in and cause scratches.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Put something on the roof taller than the wing to support the weight of the cover.
Maybe a block of wood wrapped in felt or something

I’m going to try a section of a pool noodle. Works great when I transport kayaks over the strap, so why not here?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
slit was a bad idea, better idea, buy a new car cover that is for a bigger car, maybe there would be more play and you wouldn't have to worry about your spoiler
A Golf Sportwagen cover will have more room in the rear.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Um, why not just install it like it's designed to instead of layering on the mounting tape? It's an easy job... 1hr tops.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I did drill my wing for the install. Its just the lower piece thats drilled. I don't think it'll be too hard to find just that one piece from a wrecked GTI.

Its the weight pulling down that's separating the wing...also if its hot out...it'll make peeling the wing down even easier. I did think about a pool noodle...it would have to be placed so that it bears the weight of the car cover and not the extension. The cover I have is really thin...if you have a pricey heavy cover...it'll be even worse.

Lol...I did cut a slit on the back of the car cover...good thing it only cost $40 because the back completely sagged down. I used painters tape to hold it up. If if there is a workaround...I'll get a more expensive cover.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Was the adhesive the one that came originally from aerofabb (prelayed)?

I've installed 3 of these. 1 on my Mk7 gti, then the same one again on my 18R, and another on a buddy's mk7.5 gti. Never had any issues with sagging using the proper mounting (3m vhb, 2 different thicknesses - thicker towards the brake light, thinner towards the edge where it meets the edge of the oem spoiler) tape.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I installed it as it came from Aerofabb. If I didn't use a car cover...there would have been no issue with the 3M tape. I'm just looking for suggestions for a workaround to take the weight of the car cover off the wing.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I installed it as it came from Aerofabb. If I didn't use a car cover...there would have been no issue with the 3M tape. I'm just looking for suggestions for a workaround to take the weight of the car cover off the wing.
You could place something on the back of the car in front of the spoiler towards the engine side, like a shoe box, to take the weight off that and onto the box, thank me later ;)

Daohaus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
@Chogokin was thinking about what up thought about the thickness of the piece, you can always lay down some carbon sheet to the polycarbonate to give it some thickness and it’s look cool

GTIgeek812

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17' GTI Sport 6MT
Stuck the landing on the first try.

Added some additional 3M VHB tape.

I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

I can always add some small black lag bolts to the holes later.

Or worst case it falls off and I can redo.

FYI: I emailed Aerofabb complementing them but also complaining about the logo.

They are shooting for mid-year for a ghosted/subtle logo.
YO! I know this is from a while back but do you have any idea what size VHB tape you used? 1/2" 3/4"? I'm getting one second hand and I'm going to reinstall the 3m tape. Just don't wanna muck it up. I would compare but it's in the mail RN. TIA