GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aerofabb Competition Series Wing/Diffuser

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I've done about ten HPDE over the last few years with my MK7 and after upgrading power and braking, I'm finally to the point of looking at suspension and aero to try and help shave some more time. I could definitely stand to switch to coils to help with entry/exit speeds, but we've also got two straights at my home track (PIR) and the biggest thing I notice at around 90-100mph is the back end starting to feel a bit light and less planted. On the back straight I'm topping out at 125mph and about 115mph on the front straight. Wondering which aero pieces or combination might feel more settled at speed.
With that info, absolutely get coils.

I love my fortune auto 510s. Seriously fantastic coils and I run MSS for about 3-4 years as a reference.

I also tried the Spulen Coilovers which were good too but not nearly as dynamic as the FA (price reflects athat as well) Both were an upgrade compared to what I had been using.

THe rear end sliding is exactly what got me looking at Aero and the TCR class GTI/Seat

Wing will 100% help with the rear end at high speeds. RSB helps for general rotation but at a certain point you need it to stop!

My suggestion would be Splitter/Wing. You can run wing only (as i did for a time) and its still an improvement, just the splitter helps tie it altogether nicely.

Diffuser is just great to have but its like an additive. Its really only most useful when combined with the others. (i.e canards for the front)

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I've done about ten HPDE over the last few years with my MK7 and after upgrading power and braking, I'm finally to the point of looking at suspension and aero to try and help shave some more time. I could definitely stand to switch to coils to help with entry/exit speeds, but we've also got two straights at my home track (PIR) and the biggest thing I notice at around 90-100mph is the back end starting to feel a bit light and less planted. On the back straight I'm topping out at 125mph and about 115mph on the front straight. Wondering which aero pieces or combination might feel more settled at speed.

Aerofabb's track stuff is newer, also check out Verus Engineering that makes a well known hood vent kit for the Mk7 GTI. They have a diffuser kit and canards that are similar to Aerofabb (Verus came first but it's all good) and I've spoken to Verus about it. For them, using both the diffuser and canards through CFD and track testing is a balanced setup that favors a bit of rear downforce bias for stability.

I'm planning to install that kit + hood vents (engine heat removal) as Aerofabb doesn't have a front matching splitter available today to balance the rear components and I also DD the car so I'd like to not scrape everything. If I keep pushing it on track, then adding a wing and front splitter is a good combo to add. Wing + splitter out of the gate will be best performance wise but also the most visual in case it isn't a dedicated track car.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Aerofabb's track stuff is newer, also check out Verus Engineering that makes a well known hood vent kit for the Mk7 GTI. They have a diffuser kit and canards that are similar to Aerofabb (Verus came first but it's all good) and I've spoken to Verus about it. For them, using both the diffuser and canards through CFD and track testing is a balanced setup that favors a bit of rear downforce bias for stability.

I'm planning to install that kit + hood vents (engine heat removal) as Aerofabb doesn't have a front matching splitter available today to balance the rear components and I also DD the car so I'd like to not scrape everything. If I keep pushing it on track, then adding a wing and front splitter is a good combo to add. Wing + splitter out of the gate will be best performance wise but also the most visual in case it isn't a dedicated track car.
I also grabbed Verus' canards and read diffuser with the same understanding. I also grabbed the MK8 rear aero covers for the rear control arms which there is a thread about here too.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I also grabbed Verus' canards and read diffuser with the same understanding. I also grabbed the MK8 rear aero covers for the rear control arms which there is a thread about here too.
Interesting just reading about those, not sure you need both though since the Verus diffuser connects to the rear sway bar bracket which is forward of the rear control arm. Could be wrong though but I think they'd interfere.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Interesting just reading about those, not sure you need both though since the Verus diffuser connects to the rear sway bar bracket which is forward of the rear control arm. Could be wrong though but I think they'd interfere.
For the price it's worth the shot. I confirmed that they do not interfere with a local shop which has done it to a few cars as well. And well, if they're wrong I can likely sell it to other track minded folk locally :)

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
For the price it's worth the shot. I confirmed that they do not interfere with a local shop which has done it to a few cars as well. And well, if they're wrong I can likely sell it to other track minded folk locally :)
Ok cool, are you sure the shop isn't referencing installing it with non-track diffusers or specifically asked about the long-body diffusers like Verus/Aerofabb? Agreed though, probably worth the few dollars to test it out.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Ok cool, are you sure the shop isn't referencing installing it with non-track diffusers or specifically asked about the long-body diffusers like Verus/Aerofabb? Agreed though, probably worth the few dollars to test it out.
Yes I asked specifically about Verus' rear diffuser and the rear aero covers. I'll be finding out for myself in the new year though!