GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on tuning

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
From Stratifieds Facebook:

For Science: While we were finishing up our MPI dyno work on our MK7R, decided to do an intake test.
The test was done on our MD150 Mustang Dyno in 5th gear. Stock IS38 turbo.
The comparison is between a completely open intake and the OEM intake with a drop in filter.
You can see that open intake LOST power. A few reasons for this:
- The air charge was much warmer during the pull - 10*F by the top of 5th meaning warm air was being pulled in by the turbo. This in turn meant the ECU pulled back 1* timing. This will account for about half of the power loss.
- Boost levels were identical (peak of 28.5, taper to 27psi by redline)
- Wastegate position levels were identical.
- The conclusion is that on an IS38 turbo maxed out, the OEM intake and air box with a drop in filter does not result in a performance loss from a drop in pre turbo pressure. It is a well designed intake for the flow requirements of the IS38 turbo. This can change with a larger turbo that flows more air causing a larger pressure drops across the intake.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
This is for oem intake vs open intake, not an aftermarket closed intake but still interesting.

Also, this is on a Golf R IS38 maxed out? Do i read that to say e50 and mpi?

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
The conclusion is that on an IS38 turbo maxed out, the OEM intake and air box with a drop in filter does not result in a performance loss from a drop in pre turbo pressure.

The test was not limited to pressure drop, as they mention the "open" intake which was just the TIP (aftermarket I believe) resulted in an increase in IAT. Makes sense since just using a TIP will be pulling in warmer air from alongside the engine versus where the stock airbox draws from.

Also, the TIP is a poor representation of an open intake, the part is designed to attach to an inlet hose, using it without one reduces the airflow through the TIP.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
The test was not limited to pressure drop, as they mention the "open" intake which was just the TIP (aftermarket I believe) resulted in an increase in IAT. Makes sense since just using a TIP will be pulling in warmer air from alongside the engine versus where the stock airbox draws from.

Also, the TIP is a poor representation of an open intake, the part is designed to attach to an inlet hose, using it without one reduces the airflow through the TIP.
So are you suggesting the TIP would flow more with the accordion hose, airbox, filter and airdam connected? :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Yes having an open intake sucking in air from the engine bay is not ideal but the hood was open and all they really wanted to find out was if the stock airbox was a restriction.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Personally don't like the "hot air intakes" that draw air from the engine bay. Sure you get more spooly sounds but at what cost?

My setup is the stock airbox with a K&N filter and a Revo TIP. I like the way Revo designed their TIP better than what most others are doing with the separate elbow pipe. https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/air-filter-intake-kits/20-tsi-turbo-inlet-hose

Also another happy EQT customer here thats semi local to him that I could drive over. Had my car on Ed's dyno over a year ago and its been nothing but fantastic.

Last edited:

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
So are you suggesting the TIP would flow more with the accordion hose, airbox, filter and airdam connected? :ROFLMAO::LOL:

No.

A part like the TIP that has a sharp entry edge will flow less than the same part with a bell mouth or something else to reduce turbulence at the entry point. It probably would have flowed more with an accordion hose and top half of the airbox.

Figuringitout

I installed the eqt ecu tune and Cobb dsg tune today (eqt needs the dsg identifier before sending the file). That really wakes the platform up! I like it. I took myself and my gf on a pre and post trip and you can definitely tell the difference. I'm impressed so far. Does anyone use the AP for it's graphs/dashboards? What graphs/dashboards do you run on it?

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I installed the eqt ecu tune and Cobb dsg tune today (eqt needs the dsg identifier before sending the file). That really wakes the platform up! I like it. I took myself and my gf on a pre and post trip and you can definitely tell the difference. I'm impressed so far. Does anyone use the AP for it's graphs/dashboards? What graphs/dashboards do you run on it?
I think you can have 6?

KR in all 4 cylinders
iats
boost

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Does anyone use the AP for it's graphs/dashboards? What graphs/dashboards do you run on it?

If you're running a file that needs revisions, definitely monitor Knock Retard for all 4 cylinders like Diggs said. If you're on a finished/base tune file that is safe(r), you can just monitor KR average. I monitor relative manifold pressure, oil temp, KR average, accelerator position, and AFR*.

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I don't have an AP, but if did I would run: Boost, KR average, iat, clt, afr, ltft. Would probably replace ltft with oil temp if I couldn't already see oil in the gauge cluster. I would then probably have a second page set up to see knock in each cylinder if I wanted to dig into knock issues deeper without having to reconfigure the page every time.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So what would be considered safe when looking at KR?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So what would be considered safe when looking at KR?
It is debatable, as different tunes and tuners seem to have a different consideration of what is an acceptable amount of KR. Ideally you want 0 KR, but different situations will generate KR much of the time - accelerating uphill, high load, etc. For reference, my finished dyno tune has 0 KR at WOT, and I never see more than 1.88 on an individual cylinder during the situations previously referenced, and even then, it is rare to see any.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Guy posted on FB group did a test on a Dyno and by removing the OEM box he gained 20whp on a eqt XL.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1581100296339.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581100296339.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 109
  • FB_IMG_1581100306643.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581100306643.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20200207-105324.png
    Screenshot_20200207-105324.png
    760.1 KB · Views: 109